Should I Ball Hone the Cylinder?

2 replies to this topic
  • CHEEZE13

Posted June 29, 2005 - 05:31 AM

Just wondering should I ball hone the cylinder, the swirl is still noticeable just wondering should I polish it up? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dolce_Grappa

Posted June 29, 2005 - 06:55 AM

You can, but most just use a scotchbrite pad and automatic transmission fluid to clean out the cylinder's built up varnish.

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:19 AM

If you are re-ringing, yes, you should. Use a hone about a half inch larger than the cylinder diameter. Use a low speed drill that turns about 500 rpm or so. Dowse the hone in shop solvent or mineral spirits, and run the hone up and down the full length of the cylinder rapidly as you spin it to create the cross hatch pattern. Pull it completely free of the cylinder before stopping the drill. Run the hone just long enough to finish the entire surface.

Wash the cylinder thoroughly when you're finished. When you think it's clean, try this for fun: take a scrap of an old white T shirt, pour some ATF on it, and wipe down the walls. Look at how black the shirt got, hmm? Good thing you didn't leave that in there.

Ball hones remove almost nothing from the cylinder, and in all the years I've been using them, I have never had a ring fail to seat. When I rebuilt my 250F, it burned its last drop of oil before it had 3 hours on it. Absolutely the best thing that ever happened to a ring or cylinder.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.