Broken kickstarter shaft

8 replies to this topic
  • copper

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:59 PM

Has anyone else had this happen to an 03 450. Never had a problem until this weekend when the kick lever would not come back up. FYI they don't sell just the shaft. Its sold as an assembly. Retails for $177.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:12 PM

Heard of it.

I believe the reason for not selling the parts is that they changed pretty much all of it.

• EarthMover520

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:04 AM

This happens all the time, the best way to fix it is to get a 2stroke and put pleanty of oil in it!

• yz450roden

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:04 AM

I just had to replace mine it is an 04.... Be sure and replace the stopper as well after I put the new shaft assembly in the stopper broke on the 2nd ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EarthMover520

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:11 AM

Maybe you shouldn't have wrecked on that berm either Roden450, that might have caused the failure with the stopper, since you crashed on the kickstarter! Maybe next time you should get a bike with less power like the reliable TTR225 or something, maybe then you will feel more comfortable airing it out!

• yz450roden

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Im not sure yamaha makes a 520 model, I wonder why you are so interested in the 450 forum, could it be the 2 and the 5 are mixed up in your name? I know you know all about the back of a 450. Im sure that KTM will build a bike that can hang someday.

• EarthMover520

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:05 AM

Sure, KTM makes one of the best bikes around, but yamaha's have real sweet graphics! And NO!, Im not in the wrong forum. I have a friend who lets me ride his 04 yzf450, and since Im so much faster than him on it, I can pretty much say I own it! :)

His 450 though needs better jetting, he keeps coming up short on jumps because his bike wont rap out clean! As far as the kickstarter shaft goes, he has pretty much fixed it, until he wrecks it in a lame berm again! I dont know :)

• 450g-ride

Posted July 02, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I had the exact same problem, and it happened on the first kick on a weeken trip so i thought I was s.o.l.

I had a really good welder work on it and I think it is stronger than stock.
He filled in the hollow shaft w/ a steel rod, then welded it. then he put it in a lathe and cleaned up the weld.

He did a great job and I was riding later that day.

30 bones was a heck of a lot cheaper than the whole new starter system.

• EarthMover520

Posted July 06, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Ya my 450, which I named Tammy, is now running fine! I just had to hit it with a hammer a few times, but I still cant get it to beat my friends KTM 250exc. Gosh I feel like a poser :) , I just need to rip harder I guess! Ole Tammy just cant keep from getting slapped around, I have to :) to the 250exc!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.