I Licensed my 05 WR450 today!

19 replies to this topic
  • extex

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Here's my story on getting a license plate:

I read several hundred threads on TT (I'm glad I'm did it in Michigan after reading some of the California threads). I put on Dunlop D606's (had to do it myself after reading that real men change their own tires!). A few skins and scrapes but really not that hard and I'm glad I did it so I learned about rimlocks and the value of dishwasher soap. I got the Trick Dual Sport Kit and it was an easy install and appears to be wonderful quality. It is not possible to get better customer service than you get from Dale. Thanks Dale. Bought a bicycle mirror and small license plate light and put the stock baffle back in. Took it down to the local police with the state form and they told me to go to the Secretary of State. After I convinced them that this was their role they signed off (didn't even look at the tires or listen to it, pissed me off :-)). I was first in line at the Secretary of State office and after 5 minutes of explaining that even though the VIN came up as an off road vehicle they could do this for me, in five more minutes I had my plate. I am one happy camper. Thanks for all the posts and advice.

• rushfan

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Here's a stupid question. Did you install a keyed ignition? If not, what do you do when you park somewhere? How do you secure it? :) :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Dale Mazzarow at Trick Dual Sport is great! :) :) First quality products and first quality advice and support! :D :D :D

• extex

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:13 PM

good question rushfan and one I hadn't really thought about. I really wasn't planning on that much street riding but I bet I do more than I think so I am going to need to do something. Does anyone have any ideas for a cheap answer?

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Good job extex! That would never fly in the republic of CA :)

• simon@vic

Posted June 28, 2005 - 05:53 PM

I got the Trick Dual Sport Kit and it was an easy install and appears to be wonderful quality.

wow, i surprised to hear there is such thing as a "good" kit for any bike.

i have installed allot of Baja and electrics kits on everything form an xr50 to crf450r and allot of other bikes that are not good for the road :) . and to be honest, all the kits i have seen suck. the components are crap and the wiring just inst that nice.

i always do my own. but that isn't time effective for retail applications. any one have a link to some pictures of this kit?

• simon@vic

Posted June 28, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Here's a stupid question. Did you install a keyed ignition? If not, what do you do when you park somewhere? How do you secure it? :) :)

has nothing to do with a key or not. its the fact that its missing a steering lock. basically don't leave it anywhere out of sight ever. they are light enough 2 guys can throw it in a truck in 30 seconds :D :D :D :D :D

• gregwr450f

Posted June 28, 2005 - 06:03 PM

You have to turn it into a dual sport for rego, I'm glad I live in Oz.

• minion

Posted June 28, 2005 - 06:26 PM

good question rushfan and one I hadn't really thought about. I really wasn't planning on that much street riding but I bet I do more than I think so I am going to need to do something. Does anyone have any ideas for a cheap answer?

They can always roll it, since it doesn't have a head-stem lock.

I use a disc-brake-lock, like the one made by Kyptonite (yeah yeah, mine's not the one that was recalled, so sssshhh).

Either way, its still only a few bolts to get the rim off of the bike, and pull the disc, but it is a deterrent. Any bike as light as a dirt bike is hard to protect against a non-casual theif, but the main reason for plating a dirt bike is not to ride it as a commuter all around town, so I'm not too worried.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Here you go Simon:

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:31 PM

thx dude. l

looks better then i have seen so far. what bar switch do they use? does any one have pictures of it on there bike?

• rushfan

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:48 PM

I'm the last one to need a plate on this bike. It would be too tempting do the wheelies down the avenue's and show off. With my luck, I would do this when a Cop was around and probably loop it. :) :)

• ddialogue

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:28 PM

I installed a TT-R125LE key switch. It's a direct plug-in (only have to switch the connectors which takes all of two minutes) and it's NICE. $50 at the Yami dealer. :) I chose to do the neutral indicator and power LED's at the same time.
Key Switch

• simon@vic

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:31 PM

i didn't even know the wr had a neutral sw :) :)

• ddialogue

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:34 PM

i didn't even know the wr had a neutral sw :) :)

Yeah, it's one of those "why in the world would you want that?" kind of mods, but it's all about the geek factor... :D

• simon@vic

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:36 PM

is the SW even connected to anything in the harness?

and yes i do want a N light. the wire and the led weigh nothing!!!!!! so there is no reason not to have it.....

• ddialogue

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:44 PM

If you look closely at your push button on/off switch on your 450, you'll see that it's a four-wire connector and it plugs in just behind the number plate (with the rest of the wiring mess back there.) The TTR switch is wired exactly the same as the WR but it has a slightly different connector. I simply extracted the pins from the TTR connector and inserted them in the WR connector and plugged it in. Works like a champ! I had to solder in the connections for the power and neutral LED's and I had to make a bracket for the switch as well. It's a nice mod to have if you ride the bike on the street.

• CJ22

Posted June 28, 2005 - 10:01 PM

Dale Mazzarow at Trick Dual Sport is great! :) :D First quality products and first quality advice and support! :D :D :D

I have been getting info from this forum for months now, but I am new to posting things. Just wanted to plug Trick Dual Sport for an awesome product and service. I have a 98 wr 400 that had most of the wires hacked and a Baja Designs kit improperly installed. I was nervous about trying to install a different kit myself because I am not good with electronics and I knew that none of the wires on my bike were stock. :) Dale offered to help me install the kit if I would donate towards a great charity sponsored by California riders. I took him up on his offer and do not regret it. He builds a quality product which is much simpler than the Baja Designs kit we took off. His customer support is outstanding and the kit looks better than any others I have seen.

If you are planning on dual sporting your bike give Dale a call.:D

• extex

Posted June 29, 2005 - 03:51 AM

Good idea ddialogue with the key switch. I have a TTR125 and it looks like it will work well. If anyone really wants to steal the bike they are going to take it but this should slow down the casual thief! And ditto for Indy's comments, Trick Dualsport is quality goods, easy to install and works like a charm.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 29, 2005 - 04:39 AM

Nice work Dave.. That switch is pretty cool.. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.