yz426 valve adjusment?

9 replies to this topic
  • smoothb17

Posted June 28, 2005 - 03:59 PM

this is my first post after reading countless pages about this cam mod. i hate to have to resort to asking but..... i did the mod but my shim numbers were 182 and 184!!! those aren't even referenced in the manual i have. so i said to H@#$ with it and didn't replace the valve shims. i only had a standard feeler gauge and the clearance was .007 for both valves. now when i go to start it cold in 85 degree weather it wont start. before the mod it started 2nd kick. now even with choke on, off, a couple of throttle twists nothing i have to bump start it to get it started. it bump starts easily BTW. and will hot start no problem. any ideas or suggestions, are my valves to tight/loose

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:31 PM

First, your shims. These are original factory build shims. Service shims are only available in increments of .05mm, but the factory has access to shims in steps of .01mm. Sometimes, these will continue to turn up in engines that have had a valve adjustment because the technician who took them out of one engine saved them and used them on another one. You calculate the clearance the same with these as with any of the service shims, but you have to do the math instead of using the chart.

Your exhaust valve specs are .20mm - .25mm, which is roughly .008"-.010", so you exhaust valves are a little tight. That won't cause your cold start problem.

Go back over your cam timing, carefully. Review this thread:

http://www.thumperta... cam 426 timing

If all that checks out, you may need to richen theidle mix a bit, and a larger pilot jet could be in order. It sounds a little lean.

• Satch0922

Posted June 29, 2005 - 04:21 AM

assuming you have the cams timed correctly, use this guide to set the valve clearances :

Motoman's guide to adjusting the YZF valves

Valve adjustment chart (this is for the 01 426 so it may be different on your bike)

• probracing1

Posted June 29, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Doesnt Motomans valve adj. guide (the timing exactly) only refer to a stock cam 426?
i thought the cam lobes, after doing the 450 cam mod, would be in a slightly different position than stock...something like a 10 and 2 o'clock position??

• Satch0922

Posted June 29, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Use the 450 Cam Mod PDF to "time" the cams....but checking the clearances are the same once they are timed. Time the cams, then check the valves using Motoman's guide.

450 cam mod pg 1

450 cam mod pg 2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smoothb17

Posted June 30, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the input. i broke down and bought a set of MM feelers guages re-checked clearances and they were .40 off so i ordered a 195 and 200 shim which sounds like what most people had to switch to. ill update when i get them installed. Thanks again everyone

• mightymouse291

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Hey Satch, got my new cam in the mail now and about to do the mod...Does the same clearance chart work with the new (450) cam? Just double checking so I can have all parts ready when I breakdown the bike, and rebuild.

Hows Dallas these days????

• Satch0922

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:28 PM

the same chart works .....

Dallas is good....riding NoconaMX Saturday and Badlands Sunday......we miss Mosier Valley though!

• jocolo

Posted November 23, 2005 - 11:08 PM

You can get the Hotcam for the yz 426 already with the aut decomp.. for like $165

• mightymouse291

Posted November 24, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Sad to se the old place go...My family goes back to its inception, nad the history and stories are awesome...

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.