yz450- piston

2 replies to this topic
  • Sam_66

Posted June 28, 2005 - 03:07 PM

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a used yz450f in september.. I'm coming off a xr200r..it was good for a first bike, but i out grew it real fast. Is there a lot less maintenance on a yz450f compared to a yz250? How often should the piston/rings be changed. My friends all change the rings on there 2 strokes after about 20 hours of track, so i figured the 4 stroke would be able to keep the same rings for longer. I wouldn't think the bottom end would need replacing. Also, what are some signs that the piston would need to be changed? I would be using it mostly for trail riding, some mx, and just racing buddies. Any information on this would be helpful..

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:15 PM

My '03 has about 200-225 hours on it, and has yet to need its first valve adjustment. When I do its first valve job, I'll look at the piston and see if it needs replacement then, but I don't know when that will be.

My 250F had somewhere around 400 hours on it when the valves wore out, and the bore was straight, and the piston had no measureable wear.

It costs a lot more to rebuild a YZF than a two-stroke, but you don't have to do it very often.

• Sam_66

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thats plenty of riding time for me...i just have to make sure the piston is in good condition when i buy the bike...thanks alot

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.