Did I get ripped off??

20 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hello All. I bought my 03 WR450 a couple months ago from a dealer who rode it as a demo but never registered it so sold it to me as new for 4999 (5700 otd). Being a newbie I figured hay it's a four stoke so it will get green stickered in CA right?? :) Well I know better now.

Now to my question. I got a 02 426 so am selling the 450 for 4700 and a guy came to look at it but said there it no way it only has 120 miles on it. Please take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think. Did I get ripped off? Do you think the dealer lied to me and it has more than 120 miles on it?? Thanks for your opinion.

http://photobucket.c...=03WR450001.jpg

http://photobucket.c...=03WR450002.jpg

http://photobucket.c...=03WR450004.jpg

http://photobucket.c...=03WR450003.jpg

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:45 PM

It does look a little rough to me. But that doesnt mean I know how many miles it has on it. Is that rust on the sprocket or red dirt? I hope you dont take it in the shorts on that bike. Let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck man. :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:50 PM

It looks like it probably has more than 120 on it but hard to say for sure. The paint worn off the frame and engine could have been easily done in a couple of days riding in mud. The points on the footpegs look a bit rounded off and the kickstart lever has a good notch in it from hitting the footpeg. I guess 120 is possible but unlikely, my first guess would be more. It's pretty easy to spin out the speedo cable. As a demo, the dealer knew he was selling it so keeping miles off to get near to new coin for it wouldn't be a bad idea. Ask the dealer where he rode. If he says all offroad, 120 hard muddy miles could scuff the bike up as it looks in the pics. If he says on road then I'll bet there's more than 120.

• walent215

Posted June 27, 2005 - 06:32 PM

dude that bikes pretty clean with or without 120 miles .5700 for a used bike is a bit steep but youll always pay more from a dealer.you didnt get ripped though.just be willing to negotiate with a private party because everyones looking for that SMOKIN deal.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 27, 2005 - 07:26 PM

That frame wear above the frame guard is a sure give away that more than 120 miles is on that bike! :) The frame guard is also showing more wear than 120 miles! Someone is lying. :)

http://photobucket.c...=03WR450004.jpg

• David37

Posted June 27, 2005 - 09:30 PM

Who was the dealer that sold you the bike, so we can stay clear of this jerk. The dealer should have been forthcoming and told you about the red sticker registration instead of just taking your money.

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for all of your input.

Is that rust on the sprocket or red dirt?

It's red dirt. I ride it by my house and it's all red dort.

The paint worn off the frame and engine could have been easily done in a couple of days riding in mud.

What I can't figure out is how the paint is worn off the right side frame yet the left shows almost no wear??

Who was the dealer that sold you the bike, so we can stay clear of this jerk. The dealer should have been forthcoming and told you about the red sticker registration instead of just taking your money.

It was Corona Yamaha. I should have known better and driven to one of the bigger dealers but 4999 sounded good when the 05 listed for about 6300.

Ask the dealer where he rode. If he says all offroad, 120 hard muddy miles could scuff the bike up as it looks in the pics. If he says on road then I'll bet there's more than 120.

I asked the dealer when I bought it and was told she (the owner) did mostly trail riding and a little on the street with a dealer plate slapped on which sounds right because the bike didn't even have a brake light sw.

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for all of your input.

I asked the dealer when I bought it and was told she (the owner) did mostly trail riding and a little on the street with a dealer plate slapped on which sounds right because the bike didn't even have a brake light sw.

Ask her if she has a teenage son. :)

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 06:05 AM

That was one of my first thoughts, who else did she let ride it, but then you can ask that of any bike. I had a thought, she had some stuff swapped off the bike (skid plate, bark busters, travel pack on the rear fender) onto her new bike that was sitting right next to the one I bought. I'm wondering if maybe it did have a brake light switch and the wire was run up the frame causing the paint wear. I know when I put the switch on it the wires were there all ready to plug in same connectors and all! Who the heck knows, all I know is it runs damn good :)

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Im alil lost on the red/green sticker thing. the bike is green sticker isnt it? arnt all the new wr's greensticker? even though it wasnt registerd its still green sticker.?.?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Conan_'dale

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:45 AM

If it runs good then keep it and have fun :)

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Im alil lost on the red/green sticker thing. the bike is green sticker isnt it? arnt all the new wr's greensticker? even though it wasnt registerd its still green sticker.?.?

The 03-05 WR250 and the 03-04 WR450 got red stickered. The only one green stickered is the 05 450 because of an addition of a AIS. Also all 02 and previous got grand-fathered in and get green stickered thus my purchase of the 02 WR426.

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:52 AM

If it runs good then keep it and have fun

I would LOVE to. It's an awesome bike but I can only ride it 3-4 months out of the year in the republic of CA :) I must say I'm pretty happy with my 426 too. A little less power but I'm 44 and just trail ride so more than enough power for me :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:57 AM

You have to sell the red sticker bike out of state. :) Try E-Bay or TT. Many bikes are shipped from the midwest to Kaliforniastan due to the full price mentality of the dealers. Get a green stickered 05- WR450 you can find them for a ggod price out of state. :)

• tagger

Posted June 28, 2005 - 09:03 AM

Is the paint under the frame guards good? If so, take them off. Replace, for cheap, any scratched up plastic. That bike, based on your pictures, absolutely doesn't convince me that there's more or less than 120 miles on it. There could very easily be more, but there could very easily be 120. My bike only has 100 miles on it, and the frame is already scratched up from my boots (I could care less, too) - it's a part of riding. Dirtbikes aren't supposed to stay glamorous and my 120 miles is a lot different than yours (especially if dumped a couple of times or ridden in very tight trees, rocks, sand, mud, etc). And, what’s the difference between 120 miles and 300 miles? Assuming it was maintained (oil changed, which it should’ve been done before 120 anyway) if no mods, which then I’d worry, then a few extra miles means very little. :D

How do the tires look? Chances are the person didn’t replace the tires w/ the exact stock tires. If they are the same as stock and aren’t too rounded, then I’d let that be a good indicator, keeping in mind the street wears knobbies very fast – the tires are going to round a lot faster than the pegs. If they’re not the same as stock, then I’d venture to say more than 120 miles are on it. Also, I don’t know about the ’03, but is that notch in the kickstand supposed to be there in order to help clear the peg? If so, then ignore it, if not, then ignore it – that’s not a good indicator of miles. And reversing the “speedo”??? Again, not sure about the 2003, but on my 05, the Odometer acts as a trip – i.e. it measures the miles in a ride, not the miles cumulatively put on the bike, since it’s made to be reset :)

Basically, I’d not sweat it, it’s a done deal. I would spend a few bucks and a few moments (or not) to make it look pretty again, because for some strange reason, that’s what people look for in a dirtbike (go figure). Good luck :)

• BIGMatt

Posted June 28, 2005 - 09:39 AM

If it has 120+ miles on it, then its probobly mostly from street riding. There is very little wear on the clutch cover and flywheel cover. If all the riding was done on dirt, then there should be more wear on those covers.
The rubbed off paint on the upper right side frame tube is a little weird. Maybe a really short rider with pants that have sand paper on them?

What about the chain and sprockets? How worn out are they? there should be not much wear for 120miles on the stock chain.

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 10:20 AM

The 03-05 WR250 and the 03-04 WR450 got red stickered. The only one green stickered is the 05 450 because of an addition of a AIS. Also all 02 and previous got grand-fathered in and get green stickered thus my purchase of the 02 WR426.

Thanks for clearing that up. some body will buy that for $4700, id tell the 1 guy to take it or leave it. even if theres 300 miles on it, thats alot less then any other 04' 450 he's gonna buy for $4700.
:) :)

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Thanks again all! Actually the plastics are in almost perfect condition other than a couple scratches on the right side radiator cover, oh and above the headlamp (which I did when it jumped into some trees :) ) I'll take a look under the frame guards at the paint or maybe I can make them shine again. The tires are still original, sprockets and chain look perfect and the seat shows no signs at all of wear. The notch on the kickstarter is cast that way. All in all it's great bike and ready to be plated (out of state) so the thing that gets me is the guy that looked at it was from AZ and I was only asking 4300. I was even tossing in the $60 shop manual! I listed it on TT and got one inquiry so far. I might try ebay but I'd rather not. :)

• Just034

Posted June 28, 2005 - 02:18 PM

You may be hard pressed to get what you want out of it. My buddy just bought a new never started 2004 Wr 450 that was a stage prop in a Vegas production for 4700. granted he got a good deal. You may try to sell it outside of commifornia where no one will care about the rainbow sticker crap. Good luck to you it is a nice bike either way and you should be able to recover a large chunk of it.

• byggd

Posted June 28, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I'm only about 4 hours from Vegas and will be glad to drive part way for a serious buyer. I figure if I get 4300 it will cover what I paid for the 426 plus what I've added to it. I'll still lose over a grand but live and learn I guess. Let me know if someone you know in NV or AZ looking to buy a 450 and plans to duel sport it. This one is ready to go! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.