Street Legal 2-Stroke ??

10 replies to this topic
  • MtnDoo

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:40 AM

Ok, I know this is the 650/600 forum (and I do own a street legal 650r!)..... I just figured you all would have more experience w/ conversions.....

I considering adding a CR250 2banger to my stable......

is it possible to legalize it in COLORADO????

Thanks in Advance!!

MtnDoo :)

• RdrMtn

Posted June 27, 2005 - 09:35 AM

When I legalized my 650r in Boulder county, no one even inspected it. If you can get insurance for it (I recomend progressive), then you are set. All my clerk needed for a title was a bill of sale stating the vehicle was sold as an off road vehicle or manufacturers statement of origin, a VIN verification, a certificate of vehicle compliance(a form you sign saying it has a brake light, head light, and mirror), and proof of insurance. I was able to print these forms off the net. I'm not sure if other counties have different rules.

• RdrMtn

Posted June 27, 2005 - 09:36 AM

p.s.

I have seen 2 strokes with tags in colorado.

• WFODEZ

Posted June 27, 2005 - 10:35 AM

Seeing As How You Boyz Are From Colorado, I Had Posted A Jetting Question Elsewhere On This Site, How Do The 650r's Run At The High Altitudes Where You Are At?
Am Going To Be Riding In Colorado At 7000-11000 Ft And Was Wondering If It Was Necessary To Rejet Or Do They Run Fine?
Thx For Any Help You Can Give.

• RdrMtn

Posted June 27, 2005 - 10:42 AM

My 650r runs fine in town (5400). I've had it up to about 8000 and couldn't tell much difference. If you're not racing, I wouldn't bother changing anything-not worth the effort and I don't mind dealing with a rich bike for a short period of time. Just my opinion though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR-Det

Posted June 27, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Ok, I know this is the 650/600 forum (and I do own a street legal 650r!)..... I just figured you all would have more experience w/ conversions.....

I considering adding a CR250 2banger to my stable......

is it possible to legalize it in COLORADO????

Thanks in Advance!!

MtnDoo :D

:) I totally like that question, that would be too cool if my CR would be street legal. Couldn't imagine the faces I get at the traffic light with it then, its already weird here with my XRL and that one really doesn't look all that bad... just the thought is entertaining :) :D

• smashinz2002

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Yes, you can easily make your two-stroke legal in Colorado, because my KX500 is now legal there, there were no problems in doing so (except for the addition of a USFS spark arrestor).
I also have a 650R, which, if uncorked, should be re-jetted to a 155, 160, or 165, for high altitude use. I prefer the 160, because it runs well at 7000', and decent at 12k, with no overheating at slow speeds over steep, rocky climbs.
It is very simple to change out the main jet by removing the drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl, it's a 2 min. job and worth the effort.

• MtnDoo

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:42 PM

<<All my clerk needed for a title was a bill of sale stating the vehicle was sold as an off road vehicle or manufacturers statement of origin, a VIN verification, a certificate of vehicle compliance(a form you sign saying it has a brake light, head light, and mirror), and proof of insurance.>>

JJ - I had the same experience with my XR in Arapahoe County ( Denver Tech Center area), then transferred it up to Summit (Breck) without a word asked.

Do you know where you found the list of requirements? URL? I've been searching w/ no luck. I'm looking to see if they specifically restrict the motor type or require an inspection in person. The other issues might involve emmissions, or db rating, but they don't even test cars up here anymore (Summit County CO).

Thx for the input!

MtnDoo.

WFODEZ - we ride 9000ft -12,000 ft in the same day, and there's not too much difference. Just gets a bit sloppy up high, and hard to re-start if it's warm out.

• MtnDoo

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:53 PM

Found it!!!

"Certificate of equipement compliance"

http://www.revenue.s...tles/titleforms

Pretty vague.

• WFODEZ

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:39 AM

thx for the input guys, i will see what i had changed the main to when i removed all the restrictions.
it is a bit hard to start at times so i was thinking maybe bumping the pilot up a size or two

• Winkel

Posted July 18, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I've had two street legal two strokes in Iowa. The only problem I had was that they will leave small black spots all over the back of whatever you are wearing, and they won't wash out. Other than that, no problem.

Winkel

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.