Just a top-end ?

8 replies to this topic
  • REBELEX

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Ive got a 99WR400 that has an unkown amount of km's on it. I got the bike at the start of the year, and since i give it frequent cleans of the air-filter and change the oil every 200km's. (Its got an older speedo reading 24000 +km on it !!! ). Anyway i dont no the history of it and expect that no rebuilds have been done. So would only a top-end be necessary or would the cases have to be split and the guts of it rebuilt. It doesnt blow smoke or eat any oil at all, except fot the small dribble from the overflow, but if i try hard enough i can kick through past TDC, but that maybe the result of the carb slide hitting an inlet valve a few months ago. the valves are good and nothing else has gone wrong.
One more thing - would i have to start saving now cause of the costs involved ? (AUS $)

Thankx

• Hamish

Posted June 27, 2005 - 03:28 AM

Believe me, I have learnt the hard way.
No one in australia can replate a barrel. Go genuine.
New genuine jug and piston is about $800 retail for the 426, I guess the 400 will be similar. Head gasket about $80. I believe the 400 has steel valves, so all that will be required is a valve and seat job. If you get them tipped correctly, you wont even have to change shims.
If you do the bottom end: (which I would)
Rod kit about $250, main bearings about $80, labour to assemble crank, about $70.

• REBELEX

Posted June 27, 2005 - 06:51 PM

What about nikasil, i thought they did a great job for replating barrels :)
But any way what if i get the jug re-sleeved and a big bore 430 kit put in. Would that work out to be cheaper rather than buying a genuine jug ?. Also what about the piston, which would be the best : wisco, white bros, genuine yamaha ???

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 27, 2005 - 07:18 PM

Max Power has their own version of Nikasil ceramic nickel composite plating called Apticote 2000. Same process used by Porsche and F1 cars. Expensive but reliable.

The oil retention characteristics of Apticote Ceramic 2000 have been fully tested for engines running up to 18,000 rpm.

http://www.maxpower-...om/apticote.htm

[COLOR=Sienna]APTICOTE CERAMIC 2000 - THE HISTORY
Developed as Apticote 750C by Poeton Industries' Aptec Technology Division in the late 1980s.
Race tested on road/off road.
Nickel/Ceramic coating productionized by Porche & BMW.
Continued research and development by Poeton Industries led to the launch of Apticote Ceramic 2000 in May 1997.
Tested, race proven & adopted in Europe by high performance race engine manufacturers, supported by Poeton Industries. (www.poetonaptec.co.uk) [/COLOR]

Cheaper versions have had issues with high sulpher content in US gasolines:

"It seems that there simply is no way to make it cheaper without compromising quality and durability. BMW had problems with their nikasil blocks in the US where the fuel has a high sulfur content, whereas Porsche had zero problems in the 2+ decades Nikasil was used. Many also neglect the fact that BMW also uses Nikasil in their motorcycles, to this day, without failures."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:17 AM

What about nikasil, i thought they did a great job for replating barrels :)
But any way what if i get the jug re-sleeved and a big bore 430 kit put in. Would that work out to be cheaper rather than buying a genuine jug ?. Also what about the piston, which would be the best : wisco, white bros, genuine yamaha ???

Nikasil: havent had much to do with them. I know a guy that got his barrel done there, plating chipped and the rest is history.
re sleeve will probably be slightly cheaper than a new jug, but you loose the advantage of having a coated bore. As far as pistons go, oem is good, but I doubt you'll get a big bore piston from Yamaha. I like to use OEM parts where possible. JE/Wiseco/Arias/Pro-X .. I dont believe there is a lot of difference between them, well not to the mere mortal trail rider anyway.

• REBELEX

Posted June 28, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Nikasil: havent had much to do with them. I know a guy that got his barrel done there, plating chipped and the rest is history.
re sleeve will probably be slightly cheaper than a new jug, but you loose the advantage of having a coated bore. As far as pistons go, oem is good, but I doubt you'll get a big bore piston from Yamaha. I like to use OEM parts where possible. JE/Wiseco/Arias/Pro-X .. I dont believe there is a lot of difference between them, well not to the mere mortal trail rider anyway.

Just one more thing to annoy you with lol ! - Have you heard about Dynobike? www.dynobike.com
If you like have a look at this site and see what you think of what they can do for the 400/426.
To me it seems good but for a top-end its kinda pricy i think. Would it be good to see them for the job ???

• flatnacker

Posted June 28, 2005 - 11:44 PM

My advice is dont go wasting your time oversizing it-if you want more power get a bigger bike. The bike and all its components are designed to operate under certain strains-Ive been there done that and paid the price.....dont know how many rebuilds I have forked out for before it got through my thick skull....

• Hamish

Posted June 29, 2005 - 02:49 AM

havent head anything bad about dynobike.
Those prices seem about right, but remember that is assuming you are staying with std bore size and dont need to replate. It's also assuming that the rod is in good condition :)
If you are in brisbane and are serious about getting the work done, give me a PM and I'll give you the name of a guy to call.

• REBELEX

Posted June 29, 2005 - 03:29 PM

havent head anything bad about dynobike.
Those prices seem about right, but remember that is assuming you are staying with std bore size and dont need to replate. It's also assuming that the rod is in good condition :)
If you are in brisbane and are serious about getting the work done, give me a PM and I'll give you the name of a guy to call.

Well ill take the head off and take a look and make my assumptions from there. If anything major is in need ill pm you okies
thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.