Newbie question - bad front wheel bearing?

4 replies to this topic
  • Aris

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:10 PM

OK, I just noticed something with my dirtbike. ('01 WR426) While I was parking it today, I noticed that while holding the front brake, I can still push the bike back and forth a bit. This is my first dirtbike, and I've never experienced this on any of my street bikes.

At first, I thought that I wasn't holding the brake hard enough, but when I looked, the caliper was holding the rotors pretty solid. In other words, the rotor wasn't slipping when I pushed or pulled the bike. But, the front wheel still moved back and forth a bit.

It wasn't due to the forks compressing. I know what that feels like. The front wheel definitely had some movement. I've never had this problem with any of my bikes before.

Does this mean that I have to replace my front wheel bearings?

• banffboy

Posted June 26, 2005 - 10:17 PM

That's probably just your floating caliper. Check side to side play for the wheel bearings

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted June 27, 2005 - 03:57 AM

It also sounds like maybe the caliper mounting bolts are a little loose. Just check all of your bolts, make sure the axle and pinch bolts are tight. It could be wheel bearings, but if they are bad you will be able grab the wheel at the top and bottom, try to twist the wheel and if it has a lot of slack this way the bearings need to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Josh

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 27, 2005 - 04:34 AM

That's probably just your floating caliper. Check side to side play for the wheel bearings

Bingo.. :)

• Aris

Posted June 27, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, Guys!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.