Decent quality front brake lever??

9 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:36 PM

I just bent my front brake lever (stock) on my 2004 Yz 450f, into an almost U shape. Should I ??

1) Try to straighten it out, or will that just fatigue it, or possibly break it.

2) By a factory stock Yamaha replacement part.

3) Buy an aftermarket (i.e. higher quality) model

Let me know.....

Thanks, Don

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:43 PM

You should be fine straighting it out. I reccomend asv levers :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:48 PM

If you're good, and you're patient, you can straighten some really bent OEM levers 2, maybe 3 times before they fail. Use the round holes at the end of two crescent wrenches to do the job. Hold with one, bend with the other. Crescent wrenches work better than box ends because they usually have a more rounded edge, and won't push "cuts" into the lever surface as easily.

If you do this a lot, you can substitute Moose levers for the OEM parts for around half the OEM price. The Moose levers can be straightened once or twice.

The only aftermarket levers I know of that are higher quality than the OEM parts are the ASV and ARC folding levers.

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:50 PM

grayracer no need to hone in with a better answer than mine :)

• flintlock28

Posted June 26, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info., guys...

I'll try the crescent wrench method first. If I "fungo" it up, I'll get either Yamaha or ASV levers (based on if there's sticker shock involved with ASV)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:05 PM

I have had good luck with Motion Pro levers myself. They are reasonably priced, especially compared to stockers I'm sure.

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 27, 2005 - 12:13 AM

I like ASV also. :) :)

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 27, 2005 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the info., guys...

I'll try the crescent wrench method first. If I "fungo" it up, I'll get either Yamaha or ASV levers (based on if there's sticker shock involved with ASV)

Sticker shock is a fact with ASV/ARC levers. They are worth it though. I got my ARCs 2 years ago and havent broken a lever. Compare this with aprox 5 levers a year for the last 20 years. OK, so I fall a lot. For me the ARCs are worth every penny.

• mnm567

Posted June 27, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Get on Ebay and do a search on ASV. They sell refurbished levers at more than half the cost usually. I got a brake lever for 20 and a cluch lever and purch W/hot start for 60! Great stuff. Matt

• 02YZ426

Posted June 27, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Ive always used MSR levers.. They seem to last a long time and can be re-straighted once or twice before they snap off. They are pretty comfortable too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.