Drz400sm Mods

18 replies to this topic
  • ForceGearRider

Posted June 26, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I recently purchased a DRZ400SM, and I am wondering if there are any modifications i can do to it to improve performance.

• DRZBigB

Posted June 26, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Before you do anything - get some Unabiker Radiator Guards, and some CFC Case Savers...

After "break-in" (Mototune or Service Manual) go to DRZ.info and all the mods are there..

• TORKED

Posted June 26, 2005 - 11:02 AM

Welcome to TT. This the best resource of tips anywhere. The bike has been in production for about 6 years, so there are lots of performance mods available. I would check the FAQ thread at the top of the DRZ forum. Tons of carb jetting tips, airbox improvements. Gearing changes can give you more bottom or top end power, depending on your riding taste. Also, if you are not afraid to spend money, full exhaust and big bore mods are available. You bought a great bike. Cycle World magazines top pick for standard motorcycle.

I would consider looking at changing the Auto cam chain tensioner to a manual one available for 40 bucks from Bi-Tech machine. The factory tensioner has a mild history for failing and causing pricey engine damage, but you can wait till your warranty runs out to do that. This may void your entire engine warranty if you do. And stay in touch with this board. The moderator, Burned,is extremely knowledgeable and helpful on bike set up and maintenance.

By the way, where in Florida are you. I have a DRZ400E with supermotard set up, and could use a riding buddy???? :)

• Loyski

Posted June 27, 2005 - 12:52 AM

I would definitley do the 3X3 mod first. I notice more of a difference with that than the jet kit. I dont think the DJ jet kit did much. Just ride it, and wait till they put the RMZ on the street! :)
BTW, where in florida are u guys? THeres nobody around me with motards.

• TORKED

Posted June 27, 2005 - 10:17 AM

I would definitley do the 3X3 mod first. I notice more of a difference with that than the jet kit. I dont think the DJ jet kit did much. Just ride it, and wait till they put the RMZ on the street! :)
BTW, where in florida are u guys? THeres nobody around me with motards.

Same here man...mention the word motard and folks in Miami think your'e insulting their intelligence.....

• Fullborewhore

Posted June 27, 2005 - 11:12 AM

Get the full Yosh 3x3 and DJ kit and feel the the front wheel come up. The DJ needle is tapered a bit different and also allows you to tune your needle settings. Also the spring is a bit softer allowing for a bit better snap. Not much of a difference at first but when you put the Yosh on thats when you will look like this inside your helmet :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :worthy:

• ForceGearRider

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:36 PM

thanks for all the advice, what are the 3X3 mods? where can i get them from? If you want to go supermoto riding i am in Brooksville.

03 CRF150F
01 RM250

• TORKED

Posted June 28, 2005 - 05:29 PM

What major city is that near? I am in Miami. I have already got one SM rider in Ft. L ready to roll together. Maybe we can pick you up too?? Looking at maybe the next weekend after the 4th. Cheers :)

• lstepnio

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:58 PM

I've noticed there has been a recent rash in Florida of folks jumping on the SM bandwagon. I'm in North Tampa near the Hillsboro and Pasco County lines. I'm a n00b to street riding so I'm riding at a seriously relaxed pace to get comfortable with things. I'll usually do a 2-3 hour loop covering about 70-100 miles on the DR-Z SM every other weekend or so. If you don't mind my slow and cautious pace and selective roads I'm certainly up for a ride with anyone SM rider.

• jon@consumerdirectlending

Posted June 28, 2005 - 08:24 PM

I just got mine back from the tune shop! I bumped the piston to a 93MM, had the head ported and polished and a 3 angle grind. Added new billet cams, Ti valve springs and retainers, Big Gun rev box along with a full Big Gun system. It was Dyno'd before @ 37.5 BHP,after mods made 53.5! :) :) :D

• Donkeyjyna

Posted June 29, 2005 - 06:55 AM

SWEET!

Where'd you come by the billet cams and Ti valve springs/retainers?

• ForceGearRider

Posted July 13, 2005 - 03:16 PM

to torked: brooksville is about an hour north of tampa. to istepino: that would be cool, i have motorcycle observed trials nationals in two weeks so i will be busy for a long while but after we should get in touch and go riding. johnatconsumer....: how much did all these mods cost, and where can i get them from.

• DRZJayhawker

Posted July 13, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Try this link to the DRZ mods. http://drz.info/drz/

• 10guy

Posted July 13, 2005 - 05:18 PM

I just got mine back from the tune shop! I bumped the piston to a 93MM, had the head ported and polished and a 3 angle grind. Added new billet cams, Ti valve springs and retainers, Big Gun rev box along with a full Big Gun system. It was Dyno'd before @ 37.5 BHP,after mods made 53.5!

Where did the cams come from? Who made them and what are the specs on them? Did you get the r/d spring kit with the ti retainers or full ti spring set up? Where from? Who ported your head? Did you have your cylinder replated or use a liner?

Just curious

• imfasterthangeoff

Posted February 01, 2009 - 05:28 PM

Whats up guys, im picking my sm up saturday. We should def ride, Im in Odessa (Pasco area, around Tampa). Ill def need riding buds

• coupenut

Posted February 01, 2009 - 09:17 PM

:lol: The best mods (performance wise) that I have done to my bike are the FCR39 from TT and the MRD/SSW pipe Dave and Eddie collaboration. It turned a fun bike into a blast to ride. I cannot say enough about the quality of craftsmanship and service of the two gentlemen. On another note, looking for fellow motarders to bike week. I am in Orlando. Any one want to hook up? Bike Week is just around the corner.:lol: :) :banana: :lol:

• YZEtc

Posted February 02, 2009 - 06:02 AM

Old thread, but, I've got a bit of time to kill. :)

I got my SM just this past October.
I immediately cut the 3X3 in the airbox and rejetted the stock carb when I got the bike home from the Suzuki dealer.
In my opinion, this made the power and throttle response acceptable but no more than that - I could tell the bike was all choked-up with EPA regulations and I wanted a lot more in the oomph dept. :lol:

I rode it like that for four weeks, and then decided to give the VISA card a workout:

*FCR39 carb (used, but in excellent condition) from a DR-Z400E, rejetted to Eddie's recommended specs.
*Stage 1 Hotcams
*Cylinder Works 440 big bore kit (actually 435cc, but that doesn't sound as catchy :lol: )
*Full FMF exhaust system (although there are a half-dozen brands to choose from).

With these mods, the bike finally was completely acceptable to me and ran like I wished it did off the showroom - 100% civilized without any quirks (starts, idles, runs, and behaves as easily and as glitch-free as stock) but with about 30% more power.
Just what the doctor ordered. :lol:

From here is most likely a 470cc stroker crankshaft project over next winter. :banana:

• RToth

Posted February 02, 2009 - 07:08 AM

Bought my SM late 2007. Spring of 08, purchased and installed 39mm FCR-MX from TT store with Merge racing extended mix screw, AP spring, Full Yosh RS-2 exhaust (left Spark arrestor in), 3x3 hole in airbox, and countless cosmetic mods. This brought the bike from 36 Hp to 42, and maintained an easy start, and ran reliably. This winter, sent the head off for porting, picked up a new set of hotcams, and a Millennium tech 450 BB kit. Can't wait to see what difference she''l make on the dyno.

• Twinjetguy

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:32 AM

Here is some advice. Just have your paychecks directly deposited into your DRZ itself. Trust me, it's addicting. Modify the DRZ? Take a look at my garage and the list of mods, lol. They are still coming too!!! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  74 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

• 18 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Drz 400 SM tires by Danny V.

• Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.