Anyone got a filter cage?

7 replies to this topic
  • mulisha00

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Just picked up a yz426 and it has the k & n air filter in it. I think its too many different areas to seal on it. Anyone got a stocker they would like to part with? :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I don't have a cage, but I'd ditch the K&N as fast as I could. They just don't filter well enough, and in the case of the earlier versions for the YZ's, they don't flow enough air, either. :) :)

• walent215

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:33 AM

just buy a stock one for a yz 250 smoker or 125 there all the same.

• mulisha00

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:40 AM

New to the thumpers. I traded a 98 yz125 and a 01 yz250 for the 426. And what do you know. I gave him all my filters and extra cages for the two smokes :D :D :D and they are interchangeable.

So there is no backfire screen or anything different from a say 01 yz250? The cage is the only thing I would need for the four stroke and nothing else correct? :) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • walent215

Posted June 26, 2005 - 10:24 AM

ya no backfire screen in the smokers and any of the ones you mentioned should fit

• mulisha00

Posted June 26, 2005 - 02:36 PM

I think you may have misunderstood me. I have a 426 now and got rid of all the extra filters and cages I had. It has a k&n on it and I want a regular filter. Do the 426 cages have a backfire screen?

Has anyone used the ready filters? Like em? I used them in the smokes and they worked fine for me IMO.

• walent215

Posted June 26, 2005 - 02:42 PM

ya i understood you. chuck the k&n-buy a new cage from a smoker because if you get the one for your bike it has a backfire screen that you dont want.ive bought the ready filters and they are ok but i would just buy a twinairand go with that.

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I proudly run a K&N air filter. I ride in dusty cond w/the finest dust around. When putting the K&N filter in I recomend you remove the pieces of the airbox and put enough greese around the rim while the air box is apart you can attach the filter to the part it connects to. I put some greese on the boot to see if the K&N air filter did its job and it did. When I put the K&N filter on w/out removeing the airbox dirt did pass through. If it is put on proper it will not let dirt pass through. :)

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.