444 no more

10 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted June 26, 2005 - 01:51 AM

Did up a 444 engine last week, new crank, replated barrel, new valves etc etc. Changed the oil after her maiden voyage to find plenty of metal in the filter. :) Much more than I would consider acceptable, even for a 4XX. Ended up pulling it down again. The plating had come off the barrel, destroying the piston, piston pin and the little end of the rod in the process :) It didnt do the oil pump any favours either. Anyway, got a new piston and barrel (genuine this time) on the way. Has anyone had anything like this happen, and if so, did you get any $$$ out of the company that did the plating? They were supplied the piston when they did the job. The clearance was checked and was on the tight side, but ok.

• Brettv

Posted June 26, 2005 - 02:19 AM

sorry to hear about that Hamish, id be on to fair trading quick smart, just check any documentation you received concerning liability, etc
hope it all works out well.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 26, 2005 - 03:18 AM

Sorry to hear about the fresh engine. If their plating job has failed, you would think they'd do the right thing and cough up for the repair bill. I imagine you can't call them 'til Monday? Be interesting to see what they say. Jeez, you'd be able to rebuild that motor with your eyes shut by now, wouldn't you? Not sure if you're a mechanic or not, but after all this, i'd say you're qualified. :)

• Hamish

Posted June 26, 2005 - 03:55 AM

not qualified, but 10 years for building everything from a PW50 to a ZXR750 I have a fair idea what i'm doing. Got that barrel done though a reseller, so he is dealing with it. I wont say too much more here until something is finalised.
I should have the crank back by wednesday, so next weekend I should be back on the trails which is all that matters :)

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 26, 2005 - 04:06 AM

Oh well, glad the bike won't be out of action for long. It's a pain in the arse doing things twice though, due to circumstances beyond your control. Hope you don't lose anything out of this, other than your labour of course.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Wow Hamish, this is very bad news :) . I hope things will be fine from now on and that they can at least share the bill. :)

Keep us informed

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad plating job. I hope no major damage has occured in the rest of the engine.
I went for a Ceramic composite plating (Apticote 2000) on my 490 jug and piston. Never saw any metal flakes or anything unusal with that rebuild. :)

• captain_S

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:59 PM

I`m not sure just what your motor spec is hamish,but maybe a ceramic coat will work on the liner?

• Hamish

Posted June 27, 2005 - 03:34 AM

I`m not sure just what your motor spec is hamish,but maybe a ceramic coat will work on the liner?

Yeah, I'm sure it would.
I just want to ride! Bits will be here tomorrow, build it wednesday and thursday night, run it in friday night and saturday, roostin' on sunday :)

• Hamish

Posted June 27, 2005 - 03:36 AM

Sorry to hear about the bad plating job. I hope no major damage has occured in the rest of the engine.
I went for a Ceramic composite plating (Apticote 2000) on my 490 jug and piston. Never saw any metal flakes or anything unusal with that rebuild. :)

what company did that Indy? got a link?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 27, 2005 - 06:27 AM

Max Power:

http://www.maxpower-...om/apticote.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.