New Avtar

23 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted June 25, 2005 - 05:19 PM

I was going to post some full size pics but photobucket is undergoing maintenance. :)

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 25, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Oh my gosh... What do you have there?

I haven't seen treads for bikes yet. What did that set you back?

• firezwr426

Posted June 25, 2005 - 06:29 PM

post with http://jersey-riders.com/uploader I have to see this.. :D :) :) :D

• Gadsen

Posted June 25, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hurry up FB, I want to see this "half track"

• Frostbite

Posted June 27, 2005 - 12:05 PM

Photobucket is back up but now we’re having internet problems so it's taking a long time to put this together. I'll post what I have now and pop in more pics when things speed up.

Here’s
the
track. A solid rubber “sprocket” replaces the rear tire and drives the track. The frame mounts to the swingarm with 2 brackets and uses the stock axle as the 3rd mounting point. The chain is still adjusted with the stock adjusters and the track has it’s own set of adjusters.

No ride test yet. I have a bit of adjusting to do and a few nuts and bolts were missing from the kit because the box was damaged during shipping, and my mystery compression loss problem is back and the bike won’t start. I’ve still got a bit of work before I can test this thing out.

It does add a bit of weight to the bike. I grabbed the seat handle to spin the bike around and nearly blew a gasket trying to lift the back end. I hope the traction is everything they’re claiming, ‘cause I won’t be lifting this thing out of a mud hole by myself. :)

• byggd

Posted June 27, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Looks like something right out of a Mad Max movie.....WAY cool! :)

• bluebike1999

Posted June 27, 2005 - 11:34 PM

thanks for posting pics FB. but where's the snow? usually it's like two feet deep.
does anyone make a cab or 3 point linkage for wr's? that's all there is left to put on it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 28, 2005 - 03:33 AM

Looks like something right out of a Mad Max movie.....WAY cool! :)

:) :D :D :D :D

Cant wait for the full ride report! :worthy:
Frostbite lives on the edge! :D

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:29 AM

thanks for posting pics FB. but where's the snow? usually it's like two feet deep.
does anyone make a cab or 3 point linkage for wr's? that's all there is left to put on it.

Cabs are for wimps, but I am looking at some aluminum snow plow attachments right now.:)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 28, 2005 - 04:34 AM

Frostbite, you are the MAN!! :) :D Very cool.. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfly

Posted June 28, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Anyone have the promotional video? I would love to see it in action.

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2005 - 06:51 AM

Anyone have the promotional video? I would love to see it in action.

I have the cd but no way to post it. Check out this link.

• bfly

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:26 AM

I have the cd but no way to post it. Check out this link.

The link is dead. I tried it earlier today.

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2005 - 10:30 AM

The link is dead. I tried it earlier today.

Try it now. I reloaded it.

• sausage boy

Posted June 28, 2005 - 11:31 AM

hey frosbite where did you get it? :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2005 - 12:17 PM

hey frosbite where did you get it? :)

Kimpex sent a promo video to a sled dealer here and he gave it to me. It looked good and I ordered it. You must order through an authorized Kimpex dealer but most snowmobile and bike shops carry Kimpex stuff. The track is built in Qeubec. Canada, but is available through dealers in the US and Canada. It's a hair over $1000 Canadian dollars once you're done. The track assembly is a base price and then the adapter kit for your specific model bike is another 80 or 90 bucks.
I was just talking to the Kimpex rep on the phone trying to convince them to release a paddle replacement track. Now that would be awesome! Water crossings would be a joke. :)

• MichielD

Posted June 29, 2005 - 05:29 AM

Wild frostbite, I see you must of got you 19" rim you were waiting for. That thing will see water before snow I guess. Make sure we get the video.

• suncraft

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Hey Frostbite. i talked with a states rep in Denver, he says that front ski is going to reak havoc on you. i also found pictures at http://www.racerxcan...402_Kimpex.html. they don't have a ski on it either. apparently it bogs it down. When you ride it keeps the weight on the back tire and not the front.

• suncraft

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Can't wait for the ride review!!

• Frostbite

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hey Frostbite. i talked with a states rep in Denver, he says that front ski is going to reak havoc on you. i also found pictures at http://www.racerxcan...402_Kimpex.html. they don't have a ski on it either. apparently it bogs it down. When you ride it keeps the weight on the back tire and not the front.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. How could preventing the front tire from digging in bog the bike down?:)

What is that guy thinking? :)

I’ve had the ski for 3 years now and it prevents havoc daily. Before I installed it I was making regular trips over the bars. The front tire would bury itself into soft patches of snow and stop me dead. Now my only trouble is keeping the rear from sinking which doesn’t cause a crash, I just get stuck. The track should cure that.

With spiked tires I’m hitting top speed now in the snow. I would never attempt that without the ski. Anybody riding in snow with the track and no ski at any kind of speed is asking for trouble. :D

Take my advice - Don't take his advice.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.