flywheel weights

13 replies to this topic
  • djbiker

Posted June 25, 2005 - 12:50 PM

how much should i put on im looking to smooth out the roll on of power :) :) :D :D

• Goosedog

Posted June 25, 2005 - 01:13 PM

12oz Steahly :)

• djbiker

Posted June 25, 2005 - 01:52 PM

don't you think that too much i hear most people just run 6-9oz

• Goosedog

Posted June 25, 2005 - 03:54 PM

That's what I've got. I ride woods aggressively and it was just right to avoid stalls when I chop the throttle and smooth out the power delivery to the rear wheel when I wick it. I went to Steahly's web site and saw that size recommended for my bike and style of riding. If you're riding MX all or part of the time you might want to concider a lighter weight on the FW, for tight woods go 12oz.

• Lukejt

Posted June 25, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I ride woods as well and went with the 12oz. I also went up a couple teeth on the rear sproket. Huge improvement for ridingt rails. I used to boil the antifreeze and overheat the clutch on every outing. Now I can just use the throttle w/o the clutch to get over most obstacles. Gotta love that 4 stroke grunt.

Lukejt

• rasta

Posted June 25, 2005 - 11:29 PM

i put a 6 ounce bolt on flywheel weight on for my 03 450 and it did not mellow it out at all, made it pull even harder

• racer8

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:10 AM

I put a 10 oz. on my 2002 yz426.
I was concerned about the wieght being too
heavy but I`am very happy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ebs

Posted July 05, 2005 - 08:30 PM

Anyone know what flywheel weight a WR has in comparison to a YZ?

• OldenPhatt

Posted July 05, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I'm also running the 12 oz. and am two teeth up in the rear. I did these two things prior to installing a Rekluse, and they make my 426 easier to ride on trails, but the Rekluse totally transformed the bike--I can now ride stuff easily that I used to used to get stuck on. If I had it to do over again, I would still do the flywheel, but I wouldn't bother changing the gearing, with the Rekluse, it's just not needed.

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 05, 2005 - 08:53 PM

What size, if any weights are you guys running for MX?

• John407

Posted July 05, 2005 - 09:00 PM

I'm running the 10oz Steahy with a 47 t rear sprocket on my '03 to race MX. It's perfect for me. You have to remember that a 10oz bolt on is about the same as a 6 oz Dr D weld on.

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 05, 2005 - 09:01 PM

I'm running the 10oz Steahy with a 47 t rear sprocket on my '03 to race MX. It's perfect for me. You have to remember that a 10oz bolt on is about the same as a 6 oz Dr D weld on.

K. Thanks for the info. :)

• ry0ken

Posted July 05, 2005 - 10:34 PM

im running the 12 oz GYTR, most of my riding is tight trails and steep mountains so i love it! i also swapped the 14 tooth front sprocket for a 13. those two mods totally transformed the bike for the tight stuff. just like Goosedog says, it makes a tremendous amount of difference.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:54 AM

Anyone know what flywheel weight a WR has in comparison to a YZ?

when i was researching a flywheel for mine i came across some info that the effective fww difference between the 03-04 wr-yz was 16 oz. don't hold me to it though :) i went with the 6 oz trail tech and the rekluse on my 05 works great. the rekluse adds about 2 oz fw effect by itself.(according to rekluse)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.