426 Oil

4 replies to this topic
  • crfmatt

Posted June 25, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I am new to four stroke race bikes (always had trail bikes) and I am wondering how often I need to change the oil on my 2002 yz426? Also do you need to change the filter everytime? Ive herd you do but the original owner told me it has a K/N filter and they are good for about 10 oil changes? :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Well, I change mine every three ride days, or less, which works out to be about 9-10 hours of actual run time. If I race it, I change the oil before and after each race day.

I use a Scotts stainless steel oil filter and clean it with every oil change. They're the best you can get.

The absolute least you should change or clean an oil filter is every other oil change, IMO, and frankly, the statement the previous owner made about your bike not getting a filter until the tenth oil change would have made me buy a different one. That's simply abusive, and I can't even guess where he came up with it. YZF's share their oil with the transmission and clutch. Those two components shed an enormous volume of metal into the oil compared to an engine. They will also tolerate quite a bit of crud in the oil, the engine won't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfmatt

Posted June 25, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Ok, its a good thing he said hes only changed it once with the current filter and that he used to replace them every time

• curtains23

Posted June 26, 2005 - 01:23 PM

Like the man said, change it change it often, treat it like an insurance, oil does a very good job do not abuse it because it will get its own back and you are the one with a wallet

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Yeah I agree chang it often I change my oil every two rides and my filter every 3 oil changes :)

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.