Bad plug fouling....

4 replies to this topic
  • radish150

Posted June 25, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Well, re jetted ala JD, and things are not swell. Im at sea level and 85 degrees so i went with the red needle and the 160 jet and I´m fouling plugs like crazy. I did not replace my needle and seat cuz it was working fine before, but i definetly have a problem here. Any ideas what could cuase this? Could the needle have decided not to seat well?

• wrkaholic

Posted June 25, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Changing the needle effects both the PJ and MAJ. If you are fouling the plug, you are rich.

1. If the bike is stumbling when you crack the throttle open from idle, then move the clip up one notch in the needle (needle goes farther in the hole).

2. If number 1 above is not happening, then reduce the PJ.

3. Drive the bike around and keep it half throttle and less and see if the plug fouls. If it does, keep reducing the PJ.

4. Once you dial in the PJ, try to dial in the MAJ. WOT for as long as you can, then cut the motor. Look at the plug, if it is black, then reduce the MAJ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • radish150

Posted June 25, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Well, plan B. Seems that my plug fouling was due to an inexplicable change in my float level after rebuild (same needle, seat) :) :) , I adjusted it and that seems to have fixed that little nightmare. I changed everything again, I was a tad confused about thigns and moved the needle to the 6th clip (very high needle position), which is WAY rich now but that bog is gone nonetheless (apparently due to the float adjust) so that apparently had nothing to do with the bog. I also changed to a 165 from 160 main. Now I have real good acceleration low to mid, but now it wont run right at any steady rpm. I guess now it´s obvious at 6th clip I´m too rich so a couple clicks leaner should get me back in the Ball park again???

If so, then the only thing I need to do is figure out why that high speed miss is still there. Ive been all over the place with the jets and needles and that high end miss is wont go away. :D . i´VE been from 170 to 160 and the miss is the same. :D :D :D What could that be all about? I guess I need to cut the grey wire, couldnt hurt.

Oh, and I surely hope my pilot jet is about right, I´m about 6000 miles from a PJ right now.

Thanks for the help, Workaholic.
Mark Sheldon

QUOTED MATERIAL
Changing the needle effects both the PJ and MAJ. If you are fouling the plug, you are rich.

1. If the bike is stumbling when you crack the throttle open from idle, then move the clip up one notch in the needle (needle goes farther in the hole).

2. If number 1 above is not happening, then reduce the PJ.

3. Drive the bike around and keep it half throttle and less and see if the plug fouls. If it does, keep reducing the PJ.

4. Once you dial in the PJ, try to dial in the MAJ. WOT for as long as you can, then cut the motor. Look at the plug, if it is black, then reduce the MAJ.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted June 25, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Well, I have a WR450 and run from sea level to about 3500 feet, and sometimes up to 5500-6500. I run the blue needle, 3rd clip, 168 main jet and it runs flawless, starts easy, idles perfect...

• Brettv

Posted June 25, 2005 - 10:46 PM

the high speed miss is MORE THAN LIKELY the TPS, my bike does the same thing, do a search on TPS, try unplugging it and test.
try playing with your fuel screw as well. / buy an aftermarket one that adjusts easier, eg zip-ty

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.