Skid Plate

8 replies to this topic
  • RB2

Posted June 24, 2005 - 11:22 PM

I have been looking at getting a skid plate. Probably the Utah Cycle one. But to make a long story short, I recommend getting one asap. I am getting one before I ride again :D . While riding today a good sized rock took out my oil line on the right side :D :D :D . Luckily my Buddy spotted it. We were at about 4000 ft and started at sea level , So it was an easy coast back to the truck. Thank God no harm done :) :)

• rushfan

Posted June 25, 2005 - 05:32 AM

Utah Cycle. It fits well and looks great. :)

• MorrisWR

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:36 AM

I did a first ride on my XR400 a few years back and made the same mistake. I went over a boulder that was too large and dented my frame but with no lasting problems. I put on a guard right after that and have always put guards on before riding my new bikes. I like Flatland Racing but there are a lot of good ones out.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:42 PM

http://www.utahsportcycle.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aris

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:16 PM

Newbie here... What's the difference between a skid plate and a glide plate other than the obvious size difference?

Skid Plate:

Posted Image

Glide Plate:

http://www.utahsport...ages/gp233f.gif

Obviously, the slide plate is more protective, but can you get away with just a slide plate and still protect all the engine vitals?

• clark4131

Posted June 26, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Obviously, the slide plate is more protective, but can you get away with just a slide plate and still protect all the engine vitals?

Nope. I wouldn't use a glide plate for anything but closed course motocross where all the rocks and nasties have been sifted out of the dirt...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 27, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Go with the full protection skid plate. :)

• MathProf

Posted June 27, 2005 - 07:39 AM

Carbon fiber skid plates can be had at www.BBT-Dirt.com

I wonder if the carbon fiber has any disadvantages to the heavier aluminum skid plates??

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have a strange liking to the Devol skid plate.. Simple,light and no heavy hardware. I'm done with thick aluminum skid plates with steel hardware.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.