Tight Valves

6 replies to this topic
  • BULLDOG

Posted March 01, 2001 - 08:35 PM

I have read that a lot of folks are finding tight valves after a few hudred miles on their WRs. What are the symptoms of tight valves? I just turned over 900 miles on my '00 WR. Should I be worried?

bulldog

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 02, 2001 - 08:29 AM

I just adjusted my valves at about 1000mi.

The exhaust were fine the intake were a little tight. replaced 179 and 178 shims with 175 shims. So they were just slightly out of spec.

I don't think you want to wait for any physical evidence of tight valves, as the only symtom I can think of is burnt valves and a loss of power.

• BULLDOG

Posted March 02, 2001 - 02:30 PM

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I can adjust valves and have in the past. However, I have yet to take apart the top end of my WR. Is this a job I should tackle or should I take it to the shop?

Thanks for the info-

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 02, 2001 - 02:38 PM

My dealer said it will be about 120 bucks to have it done. I am going to take it to them when ready. The shop I am at is pretty good and would rather the liability be on them. On the other hand some shops can't tie shoes. if you have a shop you trust, I would let them do it. If not, good luck and take your time.

• dwby2kwr

Posted March 03, 2001 - 10:46 PM

I just finished adjusting my valves. It is acually pretty simple and easy to do. I used plastic zip ties to hold the cam chain on the cam sprockets so that everything would stay together.
I found the my deal did not stock the shimms I needed but I bought them through the shop rather than order them.

------------------
y2k wr, airbox lid and baffle removed, 180 main, 45 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing

• BULLDOG

Posted March 03, 2001 - 08:44 PM

Thanks a lot guys! After looking at my manual and hearing the responses (also past forums) I am going to tackle it myself. Is the valve cover gasket reusable or will i need to grab a new one?

Im hoping that the shims are in stock locally. I will be doing the YZ timing while im in there too. Thanks for the info-

bulldog

• bonez34

Posted March 04, 2001 - 10:01 PM

the valve cover gasket is a o-ring rubber type that can be used over and over as long as it is still flexible and retains it's o shape.

------------------
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.