Are you happy with your 05s power?

11 replies to this topic
  • RC81

Posted June 24, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Does the the new WR450 have enough power for you? Am close to getting one but never having ridden one. I am just wondering if you are glad you went with Yamaha.

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted June 24, 2005 - 01:55 PM

no regrets here. after the free mods, there was plenty.

• woody12

Posted June 24, 2005 - 02:19 PM

when i bought it i was confused and kinda mad to. but then i did some research and found out about the free mods and its a great bike now.

• jamesravenwood

Posted June 24, 2005 - 03:34 PM

I would say it depends on how long you have been riding. As a novice, there is almost too dam much, and I havent done any of the free mods. The more experienced guys think the bikes are weak in the stock form.....

• woody12

Posted June 24, 2005 - 04:26 PM

i'm 220lbs an intermediate rider and i can use all the power with the free mods done.

• clark4131

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I'm very happy with my bike, but I'm still going to try the YZ Cam mod. I have a new one sitting in the box in my garage, so in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to swap it in and give it a try. As long as I don't lose a noticeable amount of low end, I'll keep it in. I've heard mixed reports about the mod, so we'll see. I really like to have at least a pucker factor of 8 when I twist the throttle, and I'm at about a 6 or 7 right now...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrkaholic

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I had a XR650L before my WR426 and it was built pretty good, put out lots of torque. the Yamaha has way more hp and is much more fun. Even the bigger 4 strokes will not be a big hp improvement over the Yamaha. I am not convinced a KTM 525 has more hp, but, it has more torque. I am a power junky and the Yamaha is plenty for me. The only way you will get a huge increase in power from the Yamaha is to go with a 2 Stroke CR500.

• Summit

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I just purchased a new 05 with the free mods except for the baffle and I think it has real good power. However I'm not real experienced either. I ride high performance 2 stroke mountain snowmobiles so I'm used to feeling some G's and love it. The big thing I like is how smooth and linear the power is....quiet too.

• rushfan

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hmmm. What if rc81 worked for Honda or KTM. He did post 2 questions wondering about the WR! :) What do WR customers like their bikes? :) How come we didn't buy something else? What could we do to improve ours? :D
Eh...Just kidding. :D

But what if... :D

• chiefsfan.58

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:38 PM

I would probably be happy with the WRs power with just the throttle stop mod alone...... But I did the grey wire, jd jet kit, lowedog smog and elbow, and the exhaust baffle which has been changed to the PMB tip now..... This bike has enough power for me and probably is leaning heavily towards the "too much power" side. I am old and need to slow down so all my kids can still eat food other than Top Ramen 7 days a week. :)

• RC81

Posted June 24, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hmmm. What if rc81 worked for Honda or KTM. He did post 2 questions wondering about the WR! :) What do WR customers like their bikes? :) How come we didn't buy something else? What could we do to improve ours? :D
Eh...Just kidding. :D

But what if... :D

Nah, dont work for any bike mfr. I am just trying to get an idea of how the bike feels as you cant test ride before you buy. I am coming off a 2000 YZ250 and dont want a slower bike even though I know you cant compare the two.

• ukwoodgnome

Posted June 25, 2005 - 12:57 AM

I bought my 426f with all the free mods + the YZ cam done already. It's got more power than I actually need so I can't complain. Wheelies off the throttle in 1,2 +3 easily, just about in 4th, that's a good gauge of the power it has.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.