Difference between 99WR and 01WR

8 replies to this topic
  • Rich_Clarke

Posted March 01, 2001 - 06:33 PM

as far as handlind goes is the 01 426 better
or same.

My 99 WR IMS YZ tank Seat combo that i will fit on new 01 and Race Tech Mods

It has done me very well but am considering the change.

I seem to remember that the 00 had a frame geomety change that i am sure they kept for the 01 Was this good or bad

I race mainly Enduro's and some Hare
Scrambles, any input would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks,
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Clarke (edited 03-01-2001).]

• Taffy

Posted March 02, 2001 - 02:01 AM

i'll have a stab at it rich

the y2k had the handlebars 10mm forward
5mm less length in the frame
heavier springs F & R
re-valved sussies
frame made with a stronger weld system

the'01 has a smaller tank

so the big changes were last year i suppose.

i would only add that my bars are 40mm forward from the '99 model. i've lowered the REAR of the seat 1 1/2". my yokes are 13mm through & stable or 18mm through & it's a bit lively!

the reason i was able to do this is because i put 5mm plates under the protaper mounts.

this whole thing has had the effect of steepening the head angle.

i will be fitting a set of scotts short offset triple clamps in the next fortnight. i know that clark enjoyed this set up.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 02, 2001 - 07:23 AM

Clark,

I went from a '99 wr400 to the '01 426. Got mine the end of December. I've got about a 1,000 miles on it now including a recent trip to Baja (700 miles of riding). Here are a few things I've noticed in addition to the "spec" comparison between the two bikes:

1. Suspension is much improved both front and rear.
2. Front brake is much stronger.
3. The bigger displacement is definately stronger but not a "HUGE" difference between the two bikes.
4. Clutch pull is a bit harder but managable.
5. Top end with stock gearing is around 92-93 mph. This is about 6-8 mph faster than the '99.
6. Gas milage seems to be about the same between the two bikes despite the larger displacement (found that out in Baja).
7. There is a noticable gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Hasen't been a problem though. The power manages the gap well and 1st seems to "crawl" a bit better than the '99.
8. The bolt on accessories transfer nicely (WB pipe, applied top triple, IMS seat/tank, disc guards, frame guards, etc. I did need to get a new mounting bracket for the Scotts dampener.

I've noticed a number of small improvements in the design that don't necessarily improve the performance but make it easier to work on and imcrease the reliability of the bike such as: the accelerator pump is enclosed in the carb casing to eliminate the junk build-up we use to get in the '99's, and there is an improved protective boot where the trottle cables hook to the carb.

I hope this is useful information.

cs

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 02, 2001 - 07:25 AM

Clark,

I went from a '99 wr400 to the '01 426. Got mine the end of December. I've got about a 1,000 miles on it now including a recent trip to Baja (700 miles of riding). Here are a few things I've noticed in addition to the "spec" comparison between the two bikes:

1. Suspension is much improved both front and rear.
2. Front brake is much stronger.
3. The bigger displacement is definately stronger but not a "HUGE" difference between the two bikes.
4. Clutch pull is a bit harder but managable.
5. Top end with stock gearing is around 92-93 mph. This is about 6-8 mph faster than the '99.
6. Gas milage seems to be about the same between the two bikes despite the larger displacement (found that out in Baja).
7. There is a noticable gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Hasen't been a problem though. The power manages the gap well and 1st seems to "crawl" a bit better than the '99.
8. The bolt on accessories transfer nicely (WB pipe, applied top triple, IMS seat/tank, disc guards, frame guards, etc. I did need to get a new mounting bracket for the Scotts dampener.

I've noticed a number of small improvements in the design that don't necessarily improve the performance but make it easier to work on and imcrease the reliability of the bike such as: the accelerator pump is enclosed in the carb casing to eliminate the junk build-up we use to get in the '99's, and there is an improved protective boot where the trottle cables hook to the carb.

I hope this is useful information.

cs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted March 02, 2001 - 11:15 PM

craig

can you post the gearbox ratio's for this years model please. you'll find them in your service manual.

would you say that the nissin m?c gives more 'feel' or is it a case of "still feels wooden; but at least it's stronger".

Taffy

• SFO

Posted March 03, 2001 - 05:30 AM

1st 29/12(2.416)
2nd 26/15(1.733)
3rd 21/16(1.312)
4th 21/20(1.050)
5th 21/25(0.840)

01wr 426

• Taffy

Posted March 03, 2001 - 08:53 AM

the ratio's are the same as all the other WR's, although you're not saying they are different to be fair.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 03-03-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 04, 2001 - 11:31 AM

Taffy,

The gear ratio's SFO listed are the same one's in my '01 manual as well. I no longer have my '99 manual so I can't compare them along with the primary reduction ration and the secondary reduction ratio. The primary for the '01 is 62/21 (2.952). The secondary is 50/14 (3.571).

I can only tell you that if you ride a '99 wr400 and then ride the '01 wr426 you will notice the difference. As for the front brake...It seems to be both stronger and gives a better feel as well. It is a nice improvement.

cs

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 04, 2001 - 11:33 AM

Taffy,

The gear ratio's SFO listed are the same one's in my '01 manual as well. I no longer have my '99 manual so I can't compare them along with the primary reduction ration and the secondary reduction ratio. The primary for the '01 is 62/21 (2.952). The secondary is 50/14 (3.571).

I can only tell you that if you ride a '99 wr400 and then ride the '01 wr426 you will notice the difference. As for the front brake...It seems to be both stronger and gives a better feel as well. It is a nice improvement.

cs

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.