Street Legal in Utah

3 replies to this topic
  • freestyle250

Posted June 24, 2005 - 10:44 AM

I just picked up my street legal kit this morning and am gettig very excited to put it on and go ride the trails that have been closed down to OHV's. However, I am very frugal and dont want to spend all the extra money on the tires, I personally think its a waste, comparing the DOT approved tires and my tires side by side, I dont see hardly any difference :) . Does anyone in SLC know of a place that would legalize it with te stock tires on?

• minion

Posted June 24, 2005 - 04:52 PM

I just picked up my street legal kit this morning and am gettig very excited to put it on and go ride the trails that have been closed down to OHV's. However, I am very frugal and dont want to spend all the extra money on the tires, I personally think its a waste, comparing the DOT approved tires and my tires side by side, I dont see hardly any difference :) . Does anyone in SLC know of a place that would legalize it with te stock tires on?

The first time a jerk of a cop stops you, and sees you riding non-dot tires, you'll have problems.

I think its just a huge money thing. Most of the tire manufactures for dirt bikes know that almost everyone buying their tires are riding offroad, so they don't bother to grease the DOT's pockets and have them "approved" for road use. You're right.... The tires probably aren't much different - I think the stockers that are on my wr450 grip the road really good (better than the dirt, some say), but they're not DOT - Dunlop didn't want the BS and expense approving them.

M.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted June 25, 2005 - 07:23 AM

live in south ogden and I am always up for a dual sport ride... send me a pm if you are interested... there is a really kick ass single track here above ogden...

• jhkinzinger

Posted June 25, 2005 - 01:06 PM

In the same process myself, try Full Throttle in Centerville, also check out the Dunlop 606's, they are pretty meaty and DOT approved, I bought mine at Rocky Mountain in Payson for~$50 each, take your wheels w/ you and they or any other shop will mount for free, otherwise it gets pricy to install, most places ~$20.00 but I stopped by Wrights on ~3500S and State St and they told me $11.50, thats where I will be monday to get mine put on, good luck and see you on the trails/street, Jon

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.