crazy idle yzf 400

1 reply to this topic
  • espotten

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Just wanted to see if anyone had any tips on why my bike will stay reved up if I give it gas in neutral? Bike takes a while to calm back down after just one rev. Can I fix this with the pilot screw and how? leaner or richer?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2005 - 09:08 AM

First look it over quickly for anything that would cause an air leak, like a loose fitting mounting sleeve, etc.

Next try setting the fuel screw according to this procedure (it's for a 250F, but it's the same deal)
http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

If the idle does not get back to normal before you go past two turns out, you should check your valve clearances. Tight intakes will cause this.

If you still have the problem at this point, you may have an internal carb problem, such as a partially blocked pilot jet. If it ran well with the jet it now has, don't assume it's too small unless the bike has been moved to a very different environment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.