what can i do to my 98 yz400f?

5 replies to this topic
  • supernac_816

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:41 AM

i have a 98 yzf and a few years ago it was having some timeing and valve problems and i never had the money to fix what it needed. well im ready to get back into racing and i want to wait for the 06's before i buy a new bike. what are some things i can do to the ol' four double zero that will help it keep up with B class 450s? what parts can i take from a 426 or 450 and put on my bike. also it needs a face lift - i know about the '03 plastic swap but i have no clue how to do it or anything. so if i could get some help that would be awsome. im sure i can find my answers by looking at every thread on this sight but i don't have time to do that. thanks

jordan

• adrian

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:50 AM

If your gonna get an 06 why pump money into the 98?? Fix it up so its rideable and enjoy it till the 06s come out....The 400s/426s can keep up with the 450s without heavily modding the bike...Its all about twisting the throttle....

• Reyndogg

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:41 AM

a faster rider can keep up with anyone on anything :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurricane

Posted June 24, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I never had any problems keeping up with my friends, with new 450's, on my 98'. The power was not that big of difference, the main difference from the 400's to the new 450's is the wieght.
I definelty wouldn't spend a bunch of money making a 400 faster if you plan on buying a new bike in a couple of months.

• YZ400FPower

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:46 PM

You can put a FMF pwoerbomb header on it and PowerCore4 exhaust and then a UNi and then a 450 carb.Then 426 radiators, a power now. A i-cat. Get the vavles done. Aluminum sub-frame..........the list goes on............ive done it.......i would wait for the 06

• tricksta400

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:49 PM

pump a 12 gauge slug into the head...problem solved

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.