Well, I did it!!! New WR450!!

15 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:17 AM

Thanks to everyone's advise I bought the 450 instead of the 250. Really glad I did after riding it a bit last night. Power is awesome but doesn't feel overwhelming either. Dealer did the carb screw, grey wire, and airbox. He left the baffle as is but said I could take it out. It's a great bike, so far I'm very happy.

• banffboy

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:33 AM

Luck bastage! Enjoy :)

• Texas4play

Posted June 24, 2005 - 09:09 AM

Congrats, enjoy, ride smart!!

• WaGuy78

Posted June 24, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Congrats dude! Your going to love it!

You might want to think about getting some Rad guards (Una-Bikers are awesome!) They have payed for themselves on mine already! :)

• Summit

Posted June 24, 2005 - 10:05 AM

Rad Guards for sure, right away along with a flak jacked for me :)

I was looking at a DRZ400 also because it was $900. cheaper than the WR. Does anyone here know how they compare? I didn't get a chance to ride one but it didn't feel quite as nice just sitting on it.

• BIGMatt

Posted June 24, 2005 - 10:13 AM

Show us pictures of it before you get it dirty!

• freestyle250

Posted June 24, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Be sure to get some handguards too. Bent my clutch lever first ride out. There is alot of speculation going around about which ones are the best to use. I am personally very happy with my Acerbis guards. The have taken a couple of hard hits and have kept on ticking.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 24, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Congrats on the new thumper man

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rushfan

Posted June 24, 2005 - 12:23 PM

HEY!!! DO A WHEELIE. :)

• Al Curtis

Posted June 24, 2005 - 01:43 PM

Congrats, I'm looking to buy an 05 or an 06 real soon, can't wait. I too can get a screaming deal on the DRZ but, I'm not sure what the difference is and if I will be happy. Can anyone help?

• new2blu

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Thanks to everyone's advise I bought the 450 instead of the 250. Really glad I did after riding it a bit last night. Power is awesome but doesn't feel overwhelming either. Dealer did the carb screw, grey wire, and airbox. He left the baffle as is but said I could take it out. It's a great bike, so far I'm very happy.

Congrats on the new bike! You haven't experienced the real power of the 450 until you remove the baffle and re-jet. It will make a HUGE difference!!
It may be too loud w/o the baffle so upgrade to a GYT-R or PMB exhaust insert and make sure to re-jet.

• Cairn

Posted June 24, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I considered the DRZ before purchasing an '05 WR450. The DRZ is an excellent bike, but is a little outdated. The reason that I bought the WR, however, is because I fell in love with it; she's drop dead beautiful. Regarding the DRZ, I was very impressed with the very active TT forum participation. This has not turned out to be an issue with the WR, however, because I've gotten all the info and support I've needed from this team. Good luck with your decision. Both bikes will probably get you where you're going; use your gut to decide which one will give you the biggest smile getting there. :)

Cairn

• wrkaholic

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Good Choice!! You would have been selling the DRZ in a few years! :)

• Summit

Posted June 24, 2005 - 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm sure the DRZ is good also but as previously stated I just plain loved the WR as soon as I sat on the thing so now it's sitting in my garage :) .
I wasn't even going to get it but my wonderful wife said "hey, it's fathers day, go for it".
Just ripped around the place a few minutes ago, what a perma smile. I really liked my 97 XR250 but I really really like this machine.
So the baffle and jetting make a big diff huh? What would be the jetting specs for the Montana mountains, 4000' - 7000'? The mechanic at the dealer said that removing the baffle wouldn't make much more noise. I really love how quiet this thing is now. You can just putt slowly by someone and it sounds like a Honda 90 :) .

• clark4131

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Here's what I'm running in Reno, 4500' - 6500', Temps in the 70's to 80's...

165 Main
48 Pilot
100 PAJ
35 Leak
JD Red Needle Position #5
Fuel Screw 1.5 Turns
FMF SX Powerbomb & Q2
Powernow
Snorkelectomy & Barnum's Pro Airbox Kit
Grey Wire & Throttle Stop

Granted, I'm a little bit more modded and aftermarketed than stock, but the Zip-Ty Fuel Screw, 48 Pilot and 35 Leak will do you right. Just make sure the other "free" mods have been done and you'll be totally amazed at the bike...SC

• MorrisWR

Posted June 26, 2005 - 12:39 AM

Rad Guards for sure, right away along with a flak jacked for me :)

I was looking at a DRZ400 also because it was $900. cheaper than the WR. Does anyone here know how they compare? I didn't get a chance to ride one but it didn't feel quite as nice just sitting on it.

All guards for sure (rad/skid/hand). They've all saved my bikes except when I didn't have them on some. My buddy broke a radiator on my WR250, we broke a lever on my XR400 and dented the frame on my 400 also. I learned to protect the bike (maybe I'm not so quick to learn).

You'll love the 450. I just got mine a few months ago and have a couple hundred fun miles in.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.