Snapped threads

4 replies to this topic
  • trailSloth

Posted June 23, 2005 - 08:54 PM

I was putting the flywheel back on my yz426 when I snapped the threads off while tightening the flywheel nut. I was doing it by hand with a torque wrench, not an air ratchet. I did not have the flywheel holder, so I put the bike in gear and had my wife stand on the rear brake (this worked for taking the flywheel off). My torque wrench "clicked" at 40lbs, but when I reset it to the manual's recommended 48lbs the bolt snapped off before the wrench reached its set weight.

Is there anything I can do, other than a complete tear-down and crankshaft replacement? Of course this happened three days before a hare scramble I had planned on racing.

PS I am quite proud to be using my first ever post to TT to show off my immense mechanical knowledge and ability.

• yzf450jack

Posted June 23, 2005 - 09:42 PM

Ouch not good :) You can weld the piece back on Or get a new crank :) I would try welding and leave the nut a little looser and locktite it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 24, 2005 - 02:54 AM

Did the end of the crankshaft snap off, or did the threads just strip? If its stripped you could try to retap the treads to a smaller size and tack weld the nut on so it doesnt back off. If is snapped off then maybe a good machinest could help you out, but replacing the crank is best. If the nut was over tightened last time it was installed then that could be why it snapped this time. Hope you get it all sorted out soon. :)

• Flash319

Posted June 24, 2005 - 02:58 AM

If you snapped it I would drill out the center and tap for a bolt. THis will take a while but better then new crank!!

• trailSloth

Posted June 24, 2005 - 04:30 AM

The end of the crankshaft snapped off with only a few threads left on it, not enough to get the nut on it though

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.