Oil Strainer

1 reply to this topic
  • Buck

Posted December 22, 2000 - 08:29 AM

This is the plastic in my head guy again! My latest question has to do with the oil strainer located in the cases. Has anyone ever split their cases and checked to see what debries are caught in the strainer. Or is there another way to get to the strainer to check it out? The stator blew up on this bike and I want to make sure that everything is cleaned out and the oil will flow. The oil screen in the frame had plastic residue in it and the filter picked some up as well. So I guess I was thinking that now would be the tiem to check the strainer to make sure that everything is cool before I put everything back together again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 22, 2000 - 01:17 PM

I swear to God I was gonna say “check your stator,” I swear! Is my credibility totally shot or what?

The only way to get to the strainer is by splitting the cases. The pickup strainer clears the bottom of the cases by better than 5 mm so it would be hard to become restricted with debris, plus it is pretty big (probably 35 mm in diam) and fairly coarse.

My motor ate the main gear lock washer and part of the case once, there were only a few aluminum particles on the strainer while the in-frame screen was covered and of course the filter was inundated with fine aluminum dust. I also found quite a bit of stuff in the oil lines (all 4).

If you’re worried you can remove the pump, inspect the inner side for deep gouges (scratches probably won’t hurt anything) and then you’ll be able to backflush the strainer with some creative rubber hose and funnel use. The pump is accessible once you take off the clutch and pump drive gear behind the right case cover, the strainer is inside the cases just behind (or inside of) the inner pump.

You might also consider flushing all your oil lines. There is a removable, copper-looking “oil pipe” behind the right cover (and clutch) that feeds the tranny and empties into the main or clutch shaft (and thereby oils the clutch). You may want to flush that out (it has pinholes that deliver oil to the tranny), as well as the chrome pipe that feeds it (and the valvetrain) and the two lines that go to the oil reservoir, if only for piece of mind.

Hope this helps!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.