2002 426 Gas Cap???

9 replies to this topic
  • crfmatt

Posted June 23, 2005 - 01:19 PM

I recently bought an 02 426 and after I fill up on gas when I go off jumps or do wheelies or even hard bumps gas sprays out of the gas cap on the bottom and I dont know if I need a new vent hose or what because It has some aftermarket vent hose where the hose is like 4 in. long and then it has an anadized blue cap on it. Has anyone had this problem? :) :) :D

• Yak

Posted June 23, 2005 - 03:18 PM

Are you missing the white plastic insert??

The tank should have a plastic insert or ring that acts somewhat like a gasket.

• crfmatt

Posted June 23, 2005 - 05:43 PM

I have that but the gas is comming out on the top part of the cap

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2005 - 07:46 PM

The OEM setup uses a one way check valve in the vent hose, just above the cap. The end of the hose tucks into the steering head, and any gas discharged runs down the front fender. Other makes incorporate the check valve into the cap. With the current setup you have, there is no check valve, thus the spray of fuel. You should ditch the little blue anodized thingy and go back to what Yamaha put there.

• crfmatt

Posted June 23, 2005 - 11:02 PM

Ok, I wondered if it would be solved just by putting on the regular long hose like stock ones. It makes me wonder why the original owner put it on there...THANKS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2005 - 11:46 PM

Ok, I wondered if it would be solved just by putting on the regular long hose like stock ones. It makes me wonder why the original owner put it on there...THANKS

Be sure you include the inline check valve, or you'll just be relocating the fuel spill.

• crfmatt

Posted June 25, 2005 - 02:02 PM

If I replace the valve do I still need the stock hose?

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Get rid of that vent hose and purchace a stock one. the problem w/that one is that is can become clogged and cause you bike to stall. My friend had one on his bike and it stalled before a 80ft triple. Save yourself the trouble and trash it :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2005 - 03:40 PM

If I replace the valve do I still need the stock hose?

The valve is located in the hose, so yes. Do you object to the hose for some reason?

• crfmatt

Posted June 25, 2005 - 06:41 PM

Nope, I was just wondering what i need to buy..and it looks like i justt need to get the hose with valve and ill be set. Thanks for the help

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.