WR426F 5th gear judder

6 replies to this topic
  • ukwoodgnome

Posted June 23, 2005 - 12:30 PM

I have a 2002 WR426F which feels like it has a fueling problem but only in 5th gear under load. It feels like I am running out of fuel but it is too uniform, it picks up then backs off around 2 times a second - constant. I have just had it set up with brand new factory jets at factory settings by a garage, they then road tested it and it was still there. They then tried two different clutches, but it is still there. It seems odd that it is only in 5th as when the WR's have a gearbox problem (I don't think this has) it is normally 3rd that plays up. Could it be something as simple as a sparkplug or HT lead?

Any help would be greatfully recieved - I'll buy you a virtual beer!

UKWoodgnome

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 23, 2005 - 12:47 PM

My bike has always ran like that at a constant throttle in 5th gear going about 50 mph. Do a search in this forum and you'll see all kinds of discussions about this subject. It's normal and you'll just have to get used to it.

• ukwoodgnome

Posted June 23, 2005 - 12:50 PM

It's not the usual light judder that normally occurs, it is quite violent, like opening and closing the throttle. My mates bike is exactly the same and is nowhere near as violent.

Cheers

UKWoodgnome

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 24, 2005 - 01:25 AM

Try unplugging the Throttle Position Sensor, and see if it still 'surges' under the same conditions. My '02 426 used to surge, although not as violently as you're describing.....Do a search on 'TPS' in this forum, plenty of reading there.....

• Treebark

Posted June 24, 2005 - 02:06 AM

Sounds like an ignition problem. Not to sure the differences between 426 and 450 but would check the plug, plugwire, neutral safety and tps if equipped for starters. Might also want to check kill switch, it might be vibrating and intermittently shutting off the ignition. Would think it's something simple and not major if runs fine under all other conditions.

• Hamish

Posted June 24, 2005 - 03:13 AM

I'd bet that the dogs in third gear are rounded out (3rd gear drives 5th)
Been there, done that.
:)

• ukwoodgnome

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:55 AM

I have to agree Hamish, must be gearing so I'm gonna split the case on Tuesday and see. Either dogs or tooth missing - bet ya!@

Paul

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.