You High Speed Desert Guys…

32 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted June 28, 2005 - 07:56 AM

Who makes the best stablizer? Best fork brace? For the 650L.
I've ridden up to 85mph on my L on a road, and it's okay if it's not a windy day. But if the wind is blowing, I have no idea how you guys keep the bike under control at that speed! I think I need desert lessons.

• qadsan

Posted June 28, 2005 - 09:22 AM

It just depends how much wind there is, but it does get down right scarry with or without a stabilizer if you're being hit by intermittent stiff gusts of wind while riding at speed. Earlier this year while riding down a poorly graded dirt road at speed in 5th, I was hit by a large gust while trying to make a turn and was pushed off the road and into the rough where I did some crazy bush whacking and bucking bronco riding. It looked like I had chicken pocs in some areas after the cactus needles were pulled out of me. Getting some of the needles out of my armor and my bike's plastics required pliers because they were stuck in there. It made me appreciate the hand guards a little more that day, but the wind can be wicked if its hard enough, especially if it comes in gusts or as a surprise. A parachute may sometimes be a better option than a stabilizer if you're taken by surprise from the wind, but get the stabilizer anyway because it does help a bunch should you get blow into the rough :)

I don't think you'll find a stabilizer that's the best for everyone because there's some strong opinions for the different brands and there are good reasons to own each brand, but we use both Scotts and GPR on various bikes and I like them both very much for off road use. RTT & WER are two other brands to check out.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 28, 2005 - 11:18 AM

I would like one when finances permit. I don't think it is as essential here on the East coast, but I am sure once I rode with one, I would probably never want to go back. The W.E.R. seems like a good economical choice ($320) as it bolts right up with no mounting kit necessary. Anyone using one? Are you happy?

• Jayzonk

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:57 PM

Being from Canada, I don't know much about desert riding, or the desert itself! Is, say, for example, the Baja 1000 terrain, fraught with technical difficulty? Or is it mainly flat-out racing across dunes? I'd like to try riding parts of the course, but don't want to end up in deep trouble, where the riding requires super-expert skill.

• irondude

Posted June 30, 2005 - 09:23 PM

the baja courses never have technical sections. remember that stock vw bugs also finsish the course--so its more about how fast you can go over easy stuff--and how well you can deal with adversity. everyone has some drama during the races-and the winner is the guy who got thru it best...

a 650L could easily do the course.

there are some little silt beds that can be slippery and the occasional rocky up and down hills--but nothing thats really 'technical'

i would say consider joining an organized tour in Baja--but they all suck!!

• Jayzonk

Posted July 02, 2005 - 09:03 PM

Okay, how about a somewhat organized/half-assed planned ride with some crazy-ass mofo's from Cali?? :)
I would really like to get practiced-up and try to ride the Baja. I'm in my early 30's, so I don't think I'd finish high in the pack. In fact, I'd probably finish last. That is....if I don't get run over and crushed by one of the dune trucks!!
I won't take an L, though. I'll get an R. Don't know if I should wait for an 06 or just get an '05. You think the '06 will be a new bike? :)
jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted July 02, 2005 - 10:01 PM

Okay, how about a somewhat organized/half-assed planned ride with some crazy-ass mofo's from Cali?? :)
I would really like to get practiced-up and try to ride the Baja. I'm in my early 30's, so I don't think I'd finish high in the pack. In fact, I'd probably finish last. That is....if I don't get run over and crushed by one of the dune trucks!!
I won't take an L, though. I'll get an R. Don't know if I should wait for an 06 or just get an '05. You think the '06 will be a new bike? :)
jason

The 06' is just a repeat of the same thing. They just flipped the top tank stickers from one side to the other. I think they 05' and 06' bikes are just old bikes and they have a special hidden wearhouse where they change sticker to make them say 06'. Once they finally sell all the old bikes the new CRF600X will be for sale. Sometime in 09'.

Get yourself a bike and get down here to practice! Buy the bike down here and take it back with you.

• FZ1426

Posted July 03, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Do you guys balance your wheels? :)

• irondude

Posted July 03, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Team Honda does.

I dont. I run the mousse-it spins.

They also use lighter than air gas (nitrogen, helium,etc) instead of air in the tubes.---17psi of compressed air is heavy!..They also shave their rear tires down 1/4 inch or more...less chunking/weight.

• Miguel159

Posted July 03, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Being from Canada, I don't know much about desert riding, or the desert itself! Is, say, for example, the Baja 1000 terrain, fraught with technical difficulty? Or is it mainly flat-out racing across dunes? I'd like to try riding parts of the course, but don't want to end up in deep trouble, where the riding requires super-expert skill.

Hey Jason: Being a fellow Canuk I understand you're desert dilema :) . I did the Baja route in the spring on a big 1200GS. It rocked. I only put it down once in a washed out sand pit that caught me by suprise. I'm actually looking to trade down to something smaller, CHEAPER, and more dirt oriented. I may get a XR650R or a 640 adventure, but may end up with a KLR to be able to do longer road trips. It was the best trip I've ever had. WAY better than any run of the mill Mexican resort that any Tom, Dick or Harry takes the fam damily to. I met a bunch of great guys along the way that I'll be riding with again. Anyways, I'd be happy to give you the straight dope about travelling down there. (I rode from BC to Baja South and back in 14 days :) )

• Kritter

Posted July 03, 2005 - 05:11 PM

I want to know what gears you run to go 115?

American Hondas baja bikes dont go 115!!

• FZ1426

Posted July 03, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Team Honda does.

I dont. I run the mousse-it spins.

They also use lighter than air gas (nitrogen, helium,etc) instead of air in the tubes.---17psi of compressed air is heavy!..They also shave their rear tires down 1/4 inch or more...less chunking/weight.

Interesting. That mousse has gotta suck at high speed. I guess it's safe to say the high speed guys don't use it?

• irondude

Posted July 03, 2005 - 09:55 PM

No - its fine at high speed. 'spinning' like it might move 1/4 inch once in awhile...theres no rim locks. At speed it sorts itself out and isnt an issue. Ya dont even know they are there.

The Dakar rallye guys all use mousses--they can take the weight and the speed.
More and more guys are using them in the dez as well.

It does give a different feel-its like running your wheels with 8 lbs of air. Can be hard on the rims (although i dont have issues with bent rims for some reason). Traction is awesome--but for racing its worth fine-tuning the suspension for mousses.

They arent cheap--but not getting a flat in a race or in a remote area is worth it ...at least for me it is.

The other down side is availability. Right now the entire USA is out of rear mousses....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.