Oil For Wet Sump

6 replies to this topic
  • racerx573

Posted June 23, 2005 - 10:45 AM

I am sponsored by Bel-Ray this year.. do you think a thicker oil would be better for the wet sump? I am running this engine in a quad chassis.. It is an '01 426.

I don't know if I should go with the 10-40 or the 20-50. It is their Thumper 4-Stroke Race Oil

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:19 PM

First, let me say that converting from the clearly superior dry sump to a wet sump is a bad idea. Perhaps especially so in a quad.

But since it is that way, I think that I would be prone to use the heavier oil recommended for the temperature range because the oil is going to be hotter than it would have been in a dry sump system.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:07 PM

To elaborate on the above; go back to a dry sump if you can. The extra oil capacity should help with durability, especially with the extra load that a quad is going to put on the motor. If you stay a wet sump I would say follow the manual in regards to viscosity for the temps that you ride in, but be sure to change it very very frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:25 PM

To elaborate on the above; go back to a dry sump if you can. The extra oil capacity should help with durability, especially with the extra load that a quad is going to put on the motor. If you stay a wet sump I would say follow the manual in regards to viscosity for the temps that you ride in, but be sure to change it very very frequently.

Wet sump = oil change every hour of operation or after each race/each practice etc... according to DRD....... :)

• racerx573

Posted June 24, 2005 - 01:25 AM

I went with the wet sump to save space on the quad chassis. The oil tank would have been a squeeze for space with all the lines, and finding a place to mount the tank.. Too late to go back, unless I wann get mounts welded on, and then have to re-powdercoat. I planned on changing the oil every race. I got a good deal on their oil, so I should be set for changing it as often as I need. Around here the weather gets to about 85 on the warmest days. The only times I'd be above 90 would be if I went to an out of state national like Loretta's. I ordered their 20-50. The quad itself is pretty light.. it rings in at about 350 wet. I also have a high capacity radiator for it, and some inline coolers, so keeping it cool, should be pretty easy.

Here is the baby herself..

Posted Image

Before stickers & graphics..
Posted Image
Posted Image

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 24, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Looks like you're set. Have fun and good luck!

• MotoGoalie

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:02 AM

I use the Bel Ray 20-50 and have had no problems. Nice looking quad. Go own some Honda motors with that now. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.