Final word on Mobil1 Gold Cap?

6 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:42 PM

So... I've read good, I've read bad, I've read in between. What's the final verdict on this oil? My YZ is due for an oil change, and up here a WalMart is about as good as it gets. If the gold cap is no good, I guess I'll be ordering a couple of quarts of Amsoil from somebody. Any input would be appreciated.

• Vibeguy

Posted June 22, 2005 - 10:38 PM

Cowboy,

As promised in an earlier post I sent in a sample of the original 15W-50 red cap and a sample of the new 15W-50 extended performance gold cap to my contact at our oil analysis lab. The samples went in yesterday and should be at the lab and run no later than Tuesday. As soon as I get the results I'll post.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 23, 2005 - 12:57 AM

I've seen a handfull of people saying they are using it with no problems... I still have another 5 quart jug of red cap I haven't even opened yet so I haven't tried the EP yet...

I stocked up so that the verdict would be out on EP before I needed to try it out. I can tell you that I have seen an analysis of it compared to red cap and it looks fine. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly it has less moly than the mx4t stuff does. Go figure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted June 23, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and do a search. You will see that many have posted the oil analysis and it goes something like this. More zinc and more moly than "red cap" Very good for bikes! More moly, from about 60ppm to around 75ppm. Very negligible. As stated before, if you go to this site you will see nearly 100ppm of moly in mobil -1 mortorcycle specific oil

Bottom line, looks good, when I run out of red cap it's my next choice.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 25, 2005 - 08:58 PM

Vibeguy, please do post that info, I'd appreciate it. It sounds like the gold cap will work fine, which is good news for me because I can get it relatively easily here, where Amsoil I'd have to have shipped.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2005 - 09:08 AM

Cowboy,

As promised in an earlier post I sent in a sample of the original 15W-50 red cap and a sample of the new 15W-50 extended performance gold cap to my contact at our oil analysis lab. The samples went in yesterday and should be at the lab and run no later than Tuesday. As soon as I get the results I'll post.

I already know what the analysis of both oils look like new. I'm more interested in used samples, in particular, how well does the viscosity hold up?

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 28, 2005 - 06:00 PM

:)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.