DOT Tires for XR650R - Yet Again

9 replies to this topic
  • PBR_StreetGang

Posted June 22, 2005 - 06:00 PM

I want to get the best offroad capable DOT tires for the BRP. Pirelli MT21, Dunlop D606, Michelin AC-10 come to mind, but experience tells me the MT-21 is going to suck when there is mud. Is there a DOT legal knobby that doesn't suck in mud?

• irondude

Posted June 22, 2005 - 06:09 PM

no...

• BWB63

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I want to get the best offroad capable DOT tires for the BRP. Pirelli MT21, Dunlop D606, Michelin AC-10 come to mind, but experience tells me the MT-21 is going to suck when there is mud. Is there a DOT legal knobby that doesn't suck in mud?

The Tera Flex Type II is the best mud tire made and it is DOT. Nothing is better in the mud. They just changed it from being steel belted and made in the USA (18 pounds) to being two pounds lighter and made in China. The old never chunked and last 1000+ miles (Gene lane got 2000 miles out of one) The new ones chunk and last 500miles.

• xrdad

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:27 PM

So if the Tera-Flex II's are still the best DOT tires, where can they be purchased? I checked with Chaparral today, and they don't have them.

Ted K.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 23, 2005 - 02:34 AM

The Kenda TrackMaster II does not suck in the mud. It sucks on the street. Just what I want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted June 23, 2005 - 03:27 AM

I dont' bother with a good DOT rear tire. For the quick street burst I do(trailhead to trailhead) any knobby will do. Just take it easy on the tire. For the fronts you can try for an aggressive bite a Pirelli MT-18 HD or a pirellie MT-83 scorpion.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 23, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Wait, they changed the teraflex? NOOOOOOOoooooo!

D

• Toolmaker

Posted June 23, 2005 - 02:32 PM

How big of a rear tire can you put on a 89 XR600R do any of you guy's know ?It has a 110/100/18 on it now , and looks pretty full . Thanks Steve

• AHRMA17L

Posted June 23, 2005 - 02:37 PM

The Kenda Trackmaster works very well in the mud. Just watch out on the street.

I also think the Metzler Unicross is DOT approved, if they are still available,.

• MrGraham

Posted June 24, 2005 - 11:57 AM

The thing I found about the Mt21 is that is wears fast when on the street and doesn't hook up that well in mud...pretty sure I won't get one again. Not bad on the street but gets a bit loud over 65 mph's. I have a D606 on now and seems to run pretty good. I'm going out this weekend with some friends and will see how well it works....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.