What is the cause of the dog wear on 4th

5 replies to this topic
  • CHEEZE13

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:18 PM

Lets say I split the damn case and replace the 3rd and 4th gear pinions, whats to prevent this from happening again? I see that a couple of bearings have new part #'s were they discovered to be the culprit of this overwhelmingly common problem? If not what was ever determined as the fundamental problem? I mean I have read post after post of this very problem, I see that alot of the posts originated in 04 is this just around the life expectancy of these parts, 4-5 yrs? What the F@%^k is the damn deal! Shit! :)

• Hick

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:24 PM

What the F@%^k is the damn deal! Shit! :)

As was mentioned by others in your other post, a bent shift fork may be the culprit. If the fork is even slightly off, the dogs won't fully engage, and if they only partially engage this can cause the dogs to get rounded off.

As you note, not an uncommon problem at all.

I lost a whole tranny on my '00 w/ only about 30 hours or so...

I don't know what else to say, you are riding a race bike and not an XR, 4 years is pretty good. Sorry. :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Lets say I split the damn case and replace the 3rd and 4th gear pinions, whats to prevent this from happening again? I see that a couple of bearings have new part #'s were they discovered to be the culprit of this overwhelmingly common problem? If not what was ever determined as the fundamental problem? I mean I have read post after post of this very problem, I see that alot of the posts originated in 04 is this just around the life expectancy of these parts, 4-5 yrs? What the F@%^k is the damn deal! Shit! :D

I only know of 1 - 03 that detonated 3/4th gear....I have not had any problems on mine (knock on wood) and I ride the crap out of it w/o using the clutch much at all....I have not heard much from 04/05 owners on this....not to doubt your statement...but did you get this info from here or elsewhere? Is there a Yamaha service bulletin on this issue? You have my curiousidy....I wonder if lack of oil changes contributes to this or what...Bent shift forks will cause this as I recall.... :)

I do have some CRF folks that hate there trannys..too :)

I would replace the bearings while you are in there as well as 3/4th gear pinions....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Dave,

I think Cheese has an '00 426, if I recall correctly.

That said, the most common cause is failing to make the shift cleanly, whether due to a "notch" shift cam, a bent fork, or general laziness on the part of the rider. It possible that the faces of the 4th gear locking dogs may not have been as hard as they should have been. Since the problem seems more prevalent in '00S than in '02S, I'll guess that improvements were made, and that your new parts will be less susceptible. It could also be that the '00S are just older. :excuse me: It should be noted that a bent shift fork can either be the cause of, or be caused by, a trans that jumps out of gear.

Bearings may have been changed for any number of reasons, but it would be a stretch to find that they had anything at all to do with this problem.

As far as it being a common problem, you do hear of it happening. But it does not happen to every 426 made. Maybe more than it should, maybe not. The only ones you hear about are the broken ones. Try to relax a little.

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 22, 2005 - 01:13 PM

I was just curious if this had ever been chased down to any particular design issue technical bulletin etc etc, yes I have an 00 and when I said common place I didn't mean for any other year model than an 00, anyways, I was just pondering, and I am relaxed now, the not being able to ride is what gets my blood pressure up.

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 22, 2005 - 01:17 PM

I can tell you this with a degree of certainity, first sunday was the first noticeable encounter with the skipping, second I rode it mon down the road to verify it wasn't the clutch, third I change the oil 2 rides ago, fourth drained the oil last night, it just seemed more zapped than normal however no metal. Again I was just pondering at why, and I did mention earlier in my post is this just the life expectancy, and I do think 5 yrs for a race bike is good. so anyways I going home to drink beer and turn wrenches. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.