Dumped my brand new WR 450 about a dozen times

31 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted June 22, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Man, it's dang good to hear I'm not the only one! I've actually strongly considered selling my bike for a shorter one several times. Moab was awesome, but damn it's embarrassing dumping it over in front of wheelers and mountain bikers! It truly is the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike; if I could find a bike that offered everything that this does and 2" shorter, I'd be in heaven.

Dude...shave the seat down :) Check out jasilva' link above. :)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info on how to shave the seat. I am 5' 9" and 280lbs, not a type-o :D . It was very difficult for me to get used to the height especially with this being my first real bike and all. After a year now I am much more comfortable on my bike. I will however get the shaving done and I am in the process of getting the suspension set for my fat azz. Oh yeah, I dumped my bike about a million times :) , so dont feel like the "lone ranger". Get some unibiker rad guards. :)

• byggd

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:02 AM

Consider raising the forks about 10mm in the triple clamps. This will also result in slightly better slow speed handling.

This is excelant advise. I'm 6 foot but this helped me a lot. It makes balancing the bike much easier it tight stuff and that's where I usually dump it :)

• jasilva

Posted June 23, 2005 - 05:41 AM

That's a great link Joe. Maybe you can explain how to make a home made sag scale. Otherwise, he can get at motosportoutlet.com for about $22.00 :) Even though mine is set, I think I'll buy one just for sh!ts and giggles :)

Home made sag scale-

Get a steel yard stick(or any thin straight piece of metal or a wooden yardstick can be used)from Home Depot for about $3.

Drill a hole in one end 3/8" diameter.

Insert a 3/8" bolt in the hole and put some silicone or other adhesive around the bolt head/shank where it comes thru the hole to lock it in place.

Mark the other end in 10mm increments with a permanent marker.

Thats it, you now have an cheapo sag scale.

To use insert the bolt in the open end of the axle and read your sag setting from a convenient point on the fender above the axle. WR 450s use 100mm of sag for most riders. So to check sag lift the bike enough to top out the suspension and read the scale then have the rider sit on the bike(preferably in full riding gear)while some one else balances the bike so the riders full weight is on the bike and read the scale again. The difference is your race sag setting. Adjust the spring preload as needed to get the sag right.

Joe

• rushfan

Posted June 23, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Ok...But how do you zero out the home made scale before you set the sag?
A real sag scale has a slot to move up or down at the axle bolt.

• byggd

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:37 AM

Cool tip jasilva :) Does anyone know if the sag is the same for an 02 wr426?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kincade

Posted June 23, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Dude...shave the seat down :) Check out jasilva' link above. :D

Dude... That was the first mod I did to the bike. Shaved it about 1.5". :) Also set my sag at 100mm.

• jasilva

Posted June 23, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Ok...But how do you zero out the home made scale before you set the sag?
A real sag scale has a slot to move up or down at the axle bolt.

Is that slot worth the extra twenty bucks that a "real" scale costs? :D

You put enough marks on the scale to cover the range and when you check unloaded suspension height you take your finger and put it on the scale and call that spot zero, then when you check the race sag height you count the spaces between your finger and the reference point on your fender. :) :) :D :D

Joe

• farkawi

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I took my lumps on a Ducati and a Hodaka. Compared to some of the bikes I've trail ridden the WR450 is a dream come true. Where your upper body mass is located has the biggest effect on your bike's handling in corners. There are some old books out there that were written back when trail riding was more like bike wrestling than it is now. The tips on body english, weighting of pegs and such are still valid in today's world of techno wonder bikes.

• rushfan

Posted June 23, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Is that slot worth the extra twenty bucks that a "real" scale costs? :D

You put enough marks on the scale to cover the range and when you check unloaded suspension height you take your finger and put it on the scale and call that spot zero, then when you check the race sag height you count the spaces between your finger and the reference point on your fender. :) :D :D :D

Joe

YUP!!! Just cause I want want one and it will look good in the tool box. And, of course, if anyone needs one...I have one to use :)

• Endurordr

Posted June 23, 2005 - 09:21 PM

And remember that speed is your friend to a certian extent.

• jamesravenwood

Posted June 23, 2005 - 09:43 PM

well, perhaps if I shave my seat down, and lower the bike a bit I should be alright. Thanks for everyones help!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.