How to change front sprocket

6 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:07 AM

I'm looking at going to a 15 tooth front sprocket, but am new to dirt bikes. Is this pretty easy to do, I haven't really looked at it closely yet. ALso , will I be able to use my stock chain?

• WFODEZ

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Piece Of Cake, Loosen Axle Bolt, Screw Chain Adjusters In A Ways, Remove Sprocket Bolts And There Should Be Enough Slack In The Chain To Remove Countershaft Sprocket And Insert New Sprocket. Don't Forget To Re Adjust The Chain And Tighten Axle

• honkylips

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:14 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear. With my street rims/tires on there, I run a smaller back sprocket (46 or 47, can't remember off hand) and I'm afraid if I go any smaller, I won't be able to adjust the stock chain tight enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:18 AM

A good bike stand is a must of course, and if you have an impact wrench and compressor, its easy cheesy...

good luck

• honkylips

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Have air tools, just no compressor at the moment, so will have to make do the old fashioned way. What are the torque specs for the front sprocket?

• TimBrp

Posted June 22, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Forget torque specs. Tighten things like that until they're tight with some blue loctite.

• frankstr

Posted June 22, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Forget torque specs. Tighten things like that until they're tight with some blue loctite.

Yeah, What Tim said...You can torque the little bolts to about 8 or 9 ft lbs..
No need for a air gun....... :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.