Best Chain???

15 replies to this topic
  • MrGraham

Posted June 22, 2005 - 05:36 AM

Bonjour,

I need to get some new chain for my xr650l and was wondering what people thought...best chain and best place to get it??? I generally run 70 dirt and 30 road.

Merci!!

• roadcam

Posted June 22, 2005 - 06:29 AM

D.I.D. x-ring at www.rockymountainatv.com

• jlpskydive

Posted June 22, 2005 - 06:37 AM

2nd that

• Max Power

Posted June 22, 2005 - 06:52 AM

When money is no object. :)

Posted Image

• justicedone

Posted June 22, 2005 - 07:38 AM

I am still streching my stocker over my new Sunstars..he he

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Happy with my Regina from MSR. Way happier than with a DID I tried.

D

• FOUR STOKED

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Roadcam

I am in agreement with that. I put one on my 450 as soon as I got it home and it has not needed much adjustment and has been kinder to my sprockets. :)

• TimBrp

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:43 AM

I like the stock staked chains. They are the best, IMO. However, I do have the DID X-ring on her now. I'm waiting to see how long it lasts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrGraham

Posted June 22, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated. I think I am going to get one and try it.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 22, 2005 - 11:10 AM

original chain is endless. I take it you have to break it and install a master link when installing a new chain.

• Mantrasonica

Posted June 22, 2005 - 11:17 AM

How about the RK X-Ring? Had one on for about 5 months now with no issues.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:29 PM

I get over a year out of my chains. I replace the one on my CR500R after a year of desert races, motorcrosses and practicing.

On my 650L, I managed to get a bit over 15,000 (about 18 months) out of a Regina O-Ring. I got less than 1000miles on the original, back in 1996.. I snapped it! :)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:13 AM

The Regina Gold O-ring is the best chain I have used, but I haven't tried the DID ERV2 yet. When you put on an ERV2, do you have the option of staking it or throwing on a master link? Or are you forced to stake it? If I drop $130 for a chain, another $100+ for a staking kit is a big bite to swallow.

• TimBrp

Posted June 23, 2005 - 06:41 AM

It comes with a staked link Salty. I chucked in a master link and keep the stake clip for a spare. I'd imagine with some good backing all you'd need to stake it would be a a punch and a 5lb. sledge. I didn't feel comfortable leaving that on my bike so I opted for the master link. I always carry spares. Anyone elses chain wear on the metal/plastic chain guide on the bottom of the swingarm? I got a new guide/slider this year from xr's only and it still does it.

• MrGraham

Posted June 24, 2005 - 11:41 AM

I haven't noticed much wear on mine although I only have about 3500 miles on it. What are peoples thoughts with tensile strength...is it that important...the higher the better???

• LotsOfBikes

Posted June 24, 2005 - 11:31 PM

When it comes to tensile strength, virtually all chains advertised for dirtbikes have enough. An event that causes more stress on the chain (more than your engine could produce at 200hp, or landing a huge jump with the engine seized) is when the chain doesn't have enough slack.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.