Does Toyota own Yamaha?

20 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:15 AM

A mate said that they did and I'd never heard that before.
anyone know?
I knew you could get a yamaha head for a 74 celica but i thought that was just a component thing, maybe was.
Anyway if anyone has some info, that would be good.
I like toyota's and Yamaha's.

• clark4131

Posted June 22, 2005 - 05:18 AM

Toyota doesn't own Yamaha per se, but they are a major stock holder in the company. The two have teamed up on several ventures and it appears that their R&D departments work together a lot on special, race-related projects, and various limited-run vehicles. They remain separate corporations, but they are in bed together a lot of the time...SC

• e_dogg

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:33 AM

That explains why my truck and bike get along so well together! :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Will I ever be able to buy a Yamaha truck? We need a smilie for :drool: :)

• mikegarcia

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:18 AM

I am in the car biz and yamaha builds heads for various manufactures corvette Zr1 heads are yamaha but the engine was built buy mercruiser Pontiac vibe gt heads are built by yamaha but the engine and car are built by Toyota

• tntmo

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Didn't Yamaha also build or design the engine for the Ford Taurus SHO in the late 80's early 90's?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 22, 2005 - 09:41 AM

Yes Yamaha did the SHO engines for Ford. They also did a V10 engine for F1 a few years back :)

• JTWR450

Posted June 22, 2005 - 10:24 AM

No wonder my truck and my bike run so well.

• bluebike1999

Posted June 22, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Will I ever be able to buy a Yamaha truck? We need a smilie for :drool: :)

yeah, well it's a toyota with a yamaha on it.
http://www.motorcycl...122_0311_toyam/
I wonder will it have a free mods list.
cut the grey wire, remove the airbox lid and stick a pipe on it. oh yeah

I did a bit of looking last night and they seem to have done quite a few projects since 1967, but they still stand independently, just get together for a project. friends with benefits, i think they call it.

thanks for your input.

Long live Yamaha long live Toyota

• clark4131

Posted June 22, 2005 - 04:07 PM

So what do you think the new corporate name will be? Here are a few ideas...

*Yamayota
*Toyomaha
*Yamatohayota
*Toyamayotaha
*Enron

A marketing department's wet dream in any case...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted June 22, 2005 - 05:58 PM

Yamaha has built head for the early 2SE Camry engine, the current Celica GTS and others. When it comes ot heads, the Yammies built some rela high tech, high spinning stuff and makes gobs of power, just like the WR's! :)

• bluebike1999

Posted June 22, 2005 - 08:58 PM

oh what an obsession?

I'd like a car as versatile as my wr.
I could round up cattle, go to the shop, drive with my sons, race with mates on weekends,do jumps, wheelies, doughies, enduro and grasstrack it, then go to shop again on the way home, then change the oil, then buy ANOTHER NEW TYRE? ( that's the way the wife says it) then sit in the shed and look at it.

• MattyH

Posted July 14, 2005 - 08:09 AM

the toyota engineers get kinda sheepish when asked who did and quite probably still do the heads for their F1 cars

• Imdone

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:03 PM

With all the projects they have done together, its suprising that Yamaha hasn't adopted fuel injection yet. hmmm...

• dominator426

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:23 PM

Yamaha and Toyota have indeed joined forces to create advanced, state-of-the-art motive engineering wonders... My 1st and last owned motorcycle and car happen to be Toy/Yam. :applause: Some local dude from hick town Mattice Ontario Canada has recently been named managing officer of Toyota Motor Corporation, a position reached by only two Americans and three from Europe and Asia. He's also senior vice-president of Toyota Motor North America Inc. and an executive vice-president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America Inc.
http://www.kapuskasi...y.php?id=172017
This could be our link...I'll try feeding him a few brews and ideas next time he's in town.

• xti

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yamaha also played a large part in the current Corolla XRS. They developed the suspension and were also involved with the 2ZZGE 170 HP motor originally built for the now defunct Celica. Toyota then placed the same motor in the 4-door Corolla XRS and and made it quite a little screamer. 0-60 in 7seconds. Just recently bought the XRS and with it's 6 speed manual it is almost as much fun as my motorcyle!

I am currently looking for a new bike and since my Yamaha inspired XRS is blue looks like the obvious choice would have to be a blue Yamaha WRF450F parked in the garage right next to it. :applause:

• simon@vic

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:22 PM

here is what i know:

-Yamaha helped Toyota on the design of the "m" (inline6) motors. and it shows. my 7mge hauls ass, is light weight and doesn't burn much fuel at all.
-Yamaha 225hp outboards are a Toyota v6 truck block on its side.
-much more, cant type it all out.........

the only 4 wheeled vehicle i have ever owned has been a Toyota 4x4. and i cant see my self ever buying anything else...... below is a picture of my bike catching a piggy back on my bush truck.

Posted Image

• bigbob

Posted July 14, 2005 - 08:46 PM

who friggin cares. it's all engineering, finance and marketing. you guys act likes it's some secret clubs or something...........oooh what if they got together with them and did that,....

I've never been and truth is I'll never be a motor head.

• Domenic_WRF

Posted July 14, 2005 - 09:16 PM

who friggin cares. it's all engineering, finance and marketing. you guys act likes it's some secret clubs or something...........oooh what if they got together with them and did that,....

I've never been and truth is I'll never be a motor head.

:) You'll never learn :applause: How's that Tundra running? :eek:

Good luck with the back ordered parts on the euro bike :p

• Gadsen

Posted July 14, 2005 - 09:17 PM

who friggin cares.

The original poster, why :applause: And you for taking the time to reply :eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.