HELP...plz everyone give me as much info as possibal! PLZ!

2 replies to this topic
  • supernac_816

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:16 PM

I have a 98 400 and have been out of racing for a while and im ready to get back in there but i want to wait til the 06's come out to buy a new bike. What options do i have to make it keep up with B class 450 riders? what 450 or 426 engine parts can i use and what mods are out there? also i want to give the ol' four double zero a face lift. i know about the the 03 plastic swap but i have no clue how to do it or what i need. i wish i had time to go through here and read every thread but i don't. plz help thanks!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:44 PM

I would think a well tuned 400 would be fine for all but an expert level rider. You may consider a suspension revalve, depending on the track I doubt the motor is really going to be what is holding you back.

The weight is a handicap, but there isn't much you can do about that.

You can put a 426 jug on it, but you need to swap the con rod for the piston to fit. At this point it would probably be cheaper and easier to find a used 426, or used 250 two stroke.

Bottom line, if I was trying to be competitive on a YZ400, I would spend money on suspension and tires. Failing that I'd buy a 2 stroke.

Just my two cents.

• MattyH

Posted July 16, 2005 - 06:34 AM

get it jetted too, u'd be surprised at how well a bike will respond with a 12.7:1 air fuel ratio, even just to the 12 or 13 mark and you'll notice it. a friend just bought a yz426 and got 10-15% more power just from sticking it on a dyno and having it jetted

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.