Hard Starting warm and cold

2 replies to this topic
  • bustbigking

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I have a 04 YZ 450. I recently did a top end and added the hot cams and ever since then I cant get the thig too start. Once I get it started it runs great but getting it too start is the hard thing. I have asked some people and they say it could be valve clrearence, timming, bad connection, bad spark plug, or jetting but I dont get it. If once I get it started it runns fine it seems as though it would run shitty if it were any of thoughs. Please help!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2005 - 01:08 PM

The '03/'04 FCR carbs are very fussy about idle mixture as relates to starting. The cams might make it worse. What I would try if it were mine would be to run the fuel screw all the way in with the engine cold and shut off. Then back it out between 1 3/4 to 2 full turns. If the pilot jet is big enough, it should be slightly rich this way and start OK cold. Then warm it up and adjust the fuel screw according to these instructions:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

I'm assuming you are sure the cam timing is correct.

• HotCams

Posted June 21, 2005 - 01:10 PM

Is it hard to kick over? Or does it kick fine, but not start? It should have about 80-100lbs cranking compression. Either way we can fix it.

Oh yeah. before you send it in to us, you might want to do a leak down test. I had a personal friend say that his CRF450 was hard to start. He brought it in, and we found that it was loosing 50% compression. It was just tired. We where still able to adjust the decompression for him, so that he could get it started in the mean time, until he could rebuild it.

Hot Cams
Attn: Sean
3025 Justin Dr
Urbandale, IA 50322

Make sure you put a note in the box, with your name address, and phone number too.

Sean

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.