Leaky Forks

5 replies to this topic
  • TIGER44

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Both of my forks are leaking on my 02 426. I have tried the film thing to no avail. If I change the seals myself what tools will I need (and I know theres got to be at least one). Also is there anywhere or anybody that has ever posted a step by step procedure of doing this.

• gawarrior

Posted June 21, 2005 - 10:03 AM

ahhh, he finally posts..lol. Hopefully someone can help you out here....evan if not post this up in general chat.

• kris450f

Posted June 21, 2005 - 11:29 AM

well i am not a yamaha rider BUT fork seals are fork seals...just pull the forks off and loosen the nut at the bottom. You will need a second person do compress the shock and put a pair of vise grips(thats what i used) once you compress the shock you will see where to put the vise grips....remember you are doing this at the bottom of the fork not the top... once that is done just pull the forks apart and pull out the seals. Its really easy....or jsut get a manual...i learned to do it by taking it to my local shop and watching. Take it to your local shop and see if they will charge you for them to show you how to do one at least...after that they are as easy as pie...seriously

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:04 PM

Motor cyclist has a good article here.

Good step-by-step with pics.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:57 PM

well i am not a yamaha rider BUT fork seals are fork seals...just pull the forks off and loosen the nut at the bottom. You will need a second person do compress the shock and put a pair of vise grips(thats what i used) once you compress the shock you will see where to put the vise grips....remember you are doing this at the bottom of the fork not the top... once that is done just pull the forks apart and pull out the seals. Its really easy....or jsut get a manual...i learned to do it by taking it to my local shop and watching. Take it to your local shop and see if they will charge you for them to show you how to do one at least...after that they are as easy as pie...seriously

You obviously aren't a Yamaha mechanic, either. The process is far simpler than that. Leave the vise grips in the tool box.

In a nutshell, loosen the top clamp, then back off the clickers and loosen the fork caps (don't take them off yet), then the bottom clamps. remove the forks.

Remove the caps and disconnect from the damper rod. Remove the springs and the compression valve pushrod and dump the oil. Slide the dust seal down, remove the seal retention snap ring, and pop the seal out by sharply extending the forks until they come apart. Clean it up and put the new seal in place with a seal installer (buy one, it's worth it, or make one), fill the fork and put it back.

Detailed instructions here: http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm

Complete 426 manual here: http://motoman393.th...426_manual.html

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 21, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Did you take off the dust seal and remove all the dirt from inside the fork seal w/an old goggle lens? If ya tried that I guess you better take them out :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.