oil filter?

33 replies to this topic
  • jjk

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:01 PM

Does the oil filter need to be changed at each oil change, or can it be done every other?thanks....

• GlocksRock

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Lots of people do it every other change. Some change it every 3rd time. A lot of it depends on how long your going between oil changes.

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:35 PM

I change mine every other oil change.

• Gadsen

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I'd plan on about every other, but if a visual inspection shows no particles, all clear except its not like new color, you could go 3 oil changes to one filter. I wouldnt go over 2 without a visual inspection though.

• WheelsUp

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:10 PM

Buy a Scott's stainless, never buy another filter again (it's paid for itself in less than 10 changes), and clean it at every oil change.

• mjslim

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:24 PM

How do the stainless filters compare to the disposable paper type when it comes to micron rating? Are they as effective - is this info even available from the manufacturers?

• jjk

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:32 PM

Is it normal to see small metalic shavings in the filter?

• Juiceman

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:52 PM

How do the stainless filters compare to the disposable paper type when it comes to micron rating? Are they as effective - is this info even available from the manufacturers?

The stainless filters generally filter out smaller particals than the paper filters and they flow better. :)

• rushfan

Posted June 21, 2005 - 05:31 AM

Buy a Scott's stainless, never buy another filter again (it's paid for itself in less than 10 changes), and clean it at every oil change.

Where can I find one of these filters at a good price??? :)

• Cluck Kent

Posted June 21, 2005 - 06:08 AM

I too was wondering about a stainless filter. Yeah they are expensive over here in Australia too, but I was wondering if they do the job. There was a post on here a while back on the ins and outs of them but I didnt keep a copy and now wish I had. I will go a try and find it in the archives. But if anyone can give some feedback on them it would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WheelsUp

Posted June 21, 2005 - 07:16 AM

The TT store is going to be your best price.
It's not listed in the online catalog... just call them or send an email.

• cgrlvr35

Posted June 21, 2005 - 08:03 AM

Besides stopping the small particles, is the flow rate good compared to some of the paper filters. You need flow rate to be good

• farkawi

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:56 AM

You can buy the stainless filter directly from Scott's. The stainless mesh will always flow more oil than paper; especially when the paper element gets dirty. I had a write up on tests done....alas I have lost it.

• AkRider

Posted June 21, 2005 - 10:55 AM

look into the Ready Racing Filter. It's cheaper then the Sotts and comes with a cool cover. The stainless filter is the way to go.

• rushfan

Posted June 21, 2005 - 11:15 AM

look into the Ready Racing Filter. It's cheaper then the Sotts and comes with a cool cover. The stainless filter is the way to go.

I looked at the race ready filter on line and it looks pretty cool. They always give you the right verbage to read and make it sound good, but is it as good as the Scotts?? :)

• WheelsUp

Posted June 21, 2005 - 04:43 PM

but is it as good as the Scotts?? :)

A billet cover will cost you $30-50.
The Scott's filter is around $65 from the TT store.
The Ready filter is cheaper, and includes a billet cover.
Ready air filters have a questionable reputation (I have not tried them)

That tell you something?

• byggd

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:21 AM

Rich,

So if I buy the scott's do I have to but a billet cover too??

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:42 AM

I change my paper filter every 4th oil change. :)

• gregwr450f

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:58 AM

I change my paper filter every 4th oil change. :)

But how often do you change the oil???????????????????????????

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 23, 2005 - 04:59 AM

I don't change the oil filter ever time, I use paper filters and will change them every other time. It's just that an oil change without a filter change can save me half the time and less mess. The SS filters are nice, but expensive for what they are. Now that you mention it I really need to buy one. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.