New owner of a 02 426 needs help

12 replies to this topic
  • mulisha00

Posted June 20, 2005 - 04:26 PM

Well I finally got what I said I never would and picked up a 02 426. Had two strokes all my life and have a few questions. I have never noticed any race bike with a reserve. My 426 has a reserve.

The damn thing will not crank. I think its the plug and so does all my 4 stroke buddys. How much is that thing gonna cost? They told me to be prepared to bend over at the dealership.

I really am clueless to thumpers and I think that the compression release is removed in 03 can I do this to mine?

I miss my two strokes already please help :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 20, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Well I finally got what I said I never would and picked up a 02 426. Had two strokes all my life and have a few questions. I have never noticed any race bike with a reserve. My 426 has a reserve.

Are you talking reserve fuel petcock???? No YZF426 had a reserve

The damn thing will not crank. I think its the plug and so does all my 4 stroke buddys. How much is that thing gonna cost? They told me to be prepared to bend over at the dealership.

Do you know the correct way to start a 426? To find TDC (top dead center)Plug is a NGK CR8E cost 2-3 bucks

I really am clueless to thumpers and I think that the compression release is removed in 03 can I do this to mine?

Yes you can - Do you know how to utilize the compression release on your 426 to start it? I would move the Hot start to the handle bars...also

I miss my two strokes already please help :D

You can do a search on proper starting technique in this or the WR forum as well as ideas on the removal of the compression release

I suggest you team up with a previous 426 owner for starting tips and maint tips in your area or where you ride - you will find this valuable :) :)

• revolucien

Posted June 20, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Lot of good info on the motoman393 site. Check the tech tips here and that will give you a good start on a lot of stuff.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 20, 2005 - 06:27 PM

I have never noticed any race bike with a reserve. My 426 has a reserve.

I miss my two strokes already please help :)

I have a 00 426 and don't have a reserve. You can get the plug at any Auto dealer (CR8E - I think) for around 3-4 $$'s

There is definately a process to start the bike. Read the posts - There are plenty. YOU CANNOT KICK IT LIKE A 2 STROKE. I saw a guy kicking a 426 at the track for 10 minutes. Told him to change the plug, he kicked for another 2-3 minutes and I walked over and started it on the 1st kick.

Don't give up yet it is really easy. I can start mine in 1-2 kicks no matter how cold or hot it is outside... :)

• Satch0922

Posted June 20, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Rule number one, 1. if you foul the plug replace it with new.

This was a difficult lesson for me to learn when I first got a 426 3 years ago. Buy two plugs so you have a back up. If your 2-smoke buddies twist the throttle a few times....she may never start without a fresh plug.

As far as the removal of the compression release....look at the thread stickied at the top of this forum "450 Cam Mod". It has all the info there. For roughly $120 and an hour or so of your time your bike will start as easy as a 250cc two-stroke.

Yeah you can tune the bike and perfect the starting drill but why? Tune the bike (jetting) and do the cam mod and you will love it.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted June 20, 2005 - 06:47 PM

1. Find neutral
2. Pull in the compression release lever on the handlebars
3. Kick down lightly on the kickstarter to "engage the gears"
4. Return kickstarter to its original position, let go of compression release
5. Kick down hard

...I use this procedure everytime I try and start my buddies YZ426 and it works great. You cant kick it like a two-stroke. And lay off the throttle, put your hand on the front MC, because if you twist the throttle you'll never get the thing to start, four-strokes have these pesky little things called accelerator pumps. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mulisha00

Posted June 21, 2005 - 04:09 AM

Can anyone confirm that spark plug number? I am changing that today.

Also anyone else got a clue about the reserve?

I think my starting technique was right just the plug is fouled, but I would really like to do the 450 cam mod. I have read that sticky a couple of times but its soooooooo much info to cover. What do I need to do this? Just the cam?

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 21, 2005 - 05:41 AM

1.Your dealer will know the plug number.
2.Maybe the guy put a wr petcock on w/a reserve who cares dosent make a difference!!!
3.Why dont you worry about getting the bike started and make sure everything is sound before you think about the 03 cam mod? :) :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 21, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Can anyone confirm that spark plug number? I am changing that today.

Also anyone else got a clue about the reserve?

I think my starting technique was right just the plug is fouled, but I would really like to do the 450 cam mod. I have read that sticky a couple of times but its soooooooo much info to cover. What do I need to do this? Just the cam?

NGK CR8E sparkplug

Is your bike a WR426 converted to a YZF? Look at the Vin # on the Steering head............??????

I agree w/ Pavelkod for once.....get used to your bike and see how it runs prior to doing this -

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 21, 2005 - 06:08 AM

I agree w/ Pavelkod for once

:) I enlighten many people, so I thought :)

• mulisha00

Posted June 21, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I try not to goto the stealership if at all possible so I don't wanna use them for a number and go somewhere else.

I talked with the first owner and he owned the bike since new and was clueless on the reserve. It better not be a WR converted or we will be having some problems. Anyone know the difference in the VINs on a wr and yz?

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 21, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Dont ya have a small dealership around that sells used bikes/fixes them. There more helpful and alot cheeper. Good thing I am good friends w/one near my house I get great deals on everything :)

• mulisha00

Posted June 21, 2005 - 07:21 PM

None of those close by here. I went a got the plug and used the methods described in other threads and first kick thump thump thump. Purred like a big ass angry lion. :)

Heres another good question that has been beat to the ground but mine has a twist. I asked what kind of oil he ran in it and all he said was mobil 1. I know there is two kinds that most people use. I would just use yamalube but I always thought that if you use synthetic once always use it. So I will just stay with the mobil one. So from reading the other threads red cap is gone and been replaced with the gold cap 15,000 mile stuff. Correct? What weight oil do you run with that stuff?

I was thinking of a stainless oil filter. Worth it? and which is best and price?

Thanks for the help guys.

I wish I could ride this thing but the collarbone says no. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.