shock spring rubbing!!

4 replies to this topic
  • mnm567

Posted June 20, 2005 - 12:35 PM

I also posted this in the suspension forum because I am desperate! I have a '05 yz450f and I recently had the suspension re-valved and re-sprung. I noticed the shock spring was rubbing on the shock body pretty bad. I compared the stock spring diameter with the new one and the new one was about 3/4" smaller. What gives? Is the new spring rubbing because it is smaller and doesn't have the clearance that the stock one?

I also noticed that my forks are making spring noises( when compressing) and squeaking sounds. What could be causing this? I am so pissed :) HELP!
Thanks, Matt

• Ga426owner

Posted June 20, 2005 - 12:58 PM

I also posted this in the suspension forum because I am desperate! I have a '05 yz450f and I recently had the suspension re-valved and re-sprung. I noticed the shock spring was rubbing on the shock body pretty bad. I compared the stock spring diameter with the new one and the new one was about 3/4" smaller. What gives? Is the new spring rubbing because it is smaller and doesn't have the clearance that the stock one?

I also noticed that my forks are making spring noises( when compressing) and squeaking sounds. What could be causing this? I am so pissed :) HELP!
Thanks, Matt

There should be approx .25 inch gap between the spring and the shock body all the way around the shock body. The spring diameter should be the same as the stock spring otherwise it could rub. Has the preload been set on the shock? Is the spring tight - can you move it by hand back and forth - if so the preload is not set and it needs to be.
Sounds like you may have the wrong spring for your make and model bike to me...
The forks will make some noise - I had this with Race Tech gold valves - I do not have this with Enzo.
What did you have done to the forks? Resprung/revalved? I would contact who ever did the work...immediately

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mnm567

Posted June 20, 2005 - 06:51 PM

There are two marks on the shock body. One mark was from the first time I set the pre-load and rode the bike. I had to set the pre-load again after the spring broke in. Today I noticed the other rub mark. I think you are right about the shock spring being the wrong one for the make and model. I wonder if this is the case for the fork springs as well? As far as the forks go, I had them revalved, and resprung. The forks didn't make any kind of noise when it was the stock set-up. I thought I was making my suspension better. Thanks, Matt

• Butta

Posted June 21, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Please tell us who you used so we can be aware!!

• lumpy790

Posted June 21, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I have noticed the fork spring scraping like noises and shock spring rubbing on several different bikes. Never became a problem but was annoying.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.