XRL Carb Drain Function (& gas drip).

4 replies to this topic
  • crwmac

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:16 AM

After woods riding on Saturday, I noticed that my trailered XRL was dripping gas from one of the tubes that connects to the carburetor. Admittedly, I forgot to turn my gas valve off before the one-hour trip home. Still, it shouldn’t drip. My manual calls one of the tubes a “drain” and the other a “vent.” When I noticed this, I turned the gas off and the drip stopped. I also started the bike and it runs fine. I haven’t looked into this any further yet but tonight…

Any tips? It sounds like maybe the float was stuck? I don’t understand the “drain” tube being connected at the very bottom of the carb. What is the function of that? What is the function of the “vent” tube?

Thanks,

Mac

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:20 AM

The hose at the bottom of the carb does 2-3 things:

1) when you open the screw at the bottom of the bowl, it drains the bowl

2) it vents the bowl, allowing gas to come into the bowl without building pressure in the bowl.

3) if the bowl overfills, it will help to drain off the excess.

So, you could have some crud in your needle seat, or the drain screw might be a little loose.
The plastic float in the XRL is non-adjustable, but I don't think that means it couldn't warp enough to change the setting.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:15 PM

May just be the float bouncing up and down raising the float bowl level while being trailered and without it running the level is high enough to slosh and come out the vent, open the float bowl drain screew and drain into a small glass and see if any sedement or water comes out. I usually drain mine after washing the bike all I've ever seen is a little very fine sedement.

• crwmac

Posted June 21, 2005 - 05:47 AM

Thanks guys. I checked into the problem a little more last night. It's not dripping any more. It could have been slosh from the trip home or maybe the float valve was temporarily stuck.

Mac

• Jack Roberge

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:30 AM

My bike does the same thing when I trailer it. I think its just the float bouncing up and down also. No problem, just hard on the gas milage if you forget to shut off the tank petcock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.