made the switch... now...

5 replies to this topic
  • nstyleh250

Posted June 20, 2005 - 03:41 AM

Saturday I traded my old rm 250 2 stroke off on a gently used 03 yz 450f. I am more than impressed. I had heard that these big bikes dont handle as well but mine handles as well as or better than the 250. Now I have never had a high performance 4 stroke like this and I have a couple of quick questions. First of all what octane gas would be best to run in it? I know you dont have to mix it but i just wanted to make sure. Second, the bike seems to get awful hot when running. I checked the coolent level and it was a little low but the bike is still awfully hot. My last question has to do with riding it. I ride it hard like a 2 stroke without all the revving but my dad says i'm riding it too hard. I appreciate any responses and all the help you loving fellow tt' ers can give me. :)

• offday

Posted June 20, 2005 - 03:59 AM

Well..First off I run premium in all my bikes and it works fine. I know they recommend a slightly higher octane but you can run pump gas. Some like to mix Vp race fuel half and half with the pump gas :)

As far as running hot, if this is your first 4 stroke you have to get out of the "2-stroke" mentality. yes they run hot. very hot. as a mater of fact if you were to start up your bike at night you would see the head pipe start to glow.
this is normal. don't panic. you can ride the bike hard with no problem as long as you keep up with the maintenance, which you have to do anyway. If your bike was running too hot it would start to boil over just like a car would :)

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 20, 2005 - 04:05 AM

Is the bike boiling over? They do get really hot but that is normal there is a lot of heat being released because of,,, well physics, and thermodynamics when you generate bucket loads of power heat is its by product.., so if its not boiling over I think your fine, top your coolant level to just below the neck with distilled water, make sure its distilled not tap. No mixing smoker oil here just fill er up and go, min octane of 93, nothing less or you might have detonation and any number of things can go wrong internally. As far as riding style you will ride this bike a little differently than your old smoker, less clutching you don't have to build up the revs to stay in the band, let the torque work for you, I am sure you are OK just don't constantly bang it off of the rev limiter. BTW I am glad your dad doesn't watch me ride, I am sure he would think my bike was gonna explode. hahah :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted June 20, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Yup, they get a little warm. The first time you fire it up at night you'll think something is wrong 'cause the pipe is glowing hot. Nothing is wrong that's just the way they are. You can try a couple things that will bring the temp down like flush the coolant and use water wetter, or engine ice coolant, then install the boyesen water impeller and cover, and a stronger radiator cap.

As for the gas, I have always run premium from the gas station and never had a problem.

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2005 - 09:37 AM

As far as the gas goes, pump premium at 91 octane is all that is necessary, and nothing can be gained by using higher octane fuel than the engine requires. The manual specifies 92 or 93, but this Research octane (RON), which tends to have a higher number attached to the same amount of detonation resistance. U.S. pump gas is rated by averaging research and motor octane (RON+MON/2), and while the resulting number is lower, the performance is the same.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 20, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Saturday I traded my old rm 250 2 stroke off on a gently used 03 yz 450f. I am more than impressed. I had heard that these big bikes dont handle as well but mine handles as well as or better than the 250. Now I have never had a high performance 4 stroke like this and I have a couple of quick questions. First of all what octane gas would be best to run in it? I know you dont have to mix it but i just wanted to make sure. Second, the bike seems to get awful hot when running. I checked the coolent level and it was a little low but the bike is still awfully hot. My last question has to do with riding it. I ride it hard like a 2 stroke without all the revving but my dad says i'm riding it too hard. I appreciate any responses and all the help you loving fellow tt' ers can give me. :)

Pump gas premium is fine. VP U4 is better but much more costly...adds more HP - NEVER MIX Fuels...

Was it hot because you let it idle and reved it a few times? The pipe will turn red also if it sits too long idling...The bike needs airflow thru the radiators....Water Wetter by Redline will help lower temps - keep an eye on the waterpump weep hole for leaks - they all do this over time - repair bearings /impeller shaft - if worn.

4Stroke vs 2 stroke riding is totally different....No need to fan the clutch like 2smokes as this will destroy the 4 stroke clutch.....roll the throttle on thru corners - never chop the throttle on the face of a jump - Never rev it out or you can damage the valve train....Riding these correctly takes time and take practice...as I tell my friend who is on a 03 CRF and has been thru many many clutches......Change the oil every 3 rd ride or after every race :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.