Difficult to shift

6 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted June 19, 2005 - 03:49 PM

I noticed that shifting my 2004 WR450F has become more difficult (hard, it requires a lot more foot pressure, I especially notice it when shifting up) . Although the gear does not misshifts or escapes, it is impossible to find neutral (yes the clutch cable is correctly adjusted) what is the cause? Somebody told me the clutch case has become dented, is that true? Is that it or is there a risk my gearbox is about the crash?

• jbrooks26

Posted June 19, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Sounds to me like a clutch problem. I would pull the cover and inspect the clutch. The basket could have some notches worn in the fingers causing the clutch not to disengage completely. This will cause any gear to be hard to find and also make it very hard to get into neutral. Also will cause hard starting in gear. Just my 2c, hope this helps.

Josh

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 20, 2005 - 12:59 AM

If you're running Yamalube 20-40 or any other dino oil, try draining it out and running a good synthetic oil. After changing mine in two different bikes the transmission shifts like butter with the synth in. I use M1 red cap 15w-50 in mine, but when my stock of that runs out I'm going with the new gold cap 15w-50 EP. Word is that it's every bit as good as the old red cap...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonova

Posted June 20, 2005 - 09:59 AM

I would check the clutch plates for ware and also check to see if the ends of the pushrod are mushroomed at all. A couple thousanths of an inche here and there add up and can make a difference in how the clutch feels/works.. I just chaned my plates, friction disks, basket (hinson), cable and pushrod. Made a huge difference. Also while you have it apart check to basket not only for ware on the fingers but also look for tiny little cracks around the rivits, that crappy cast alum. is not the best material.

Try some different oil and also make sure that your neutral switch bolts arn't backing out.

• banffboy

Posted June 20, 2005 - 12:54 PM

If you're running Yamalube 20-40 or any other dino oil, try draining it out and running a good synthetic oil. After changing mine in two different bikes the transmission shifts like butter with the synth in. I use M1 red cap 15w-50 in mine, but when my stock of that runs out I'm going with the new gold cap 15w-50 EP. Word is that it's every bit as good as the old red cap...

What he said! Change your oil, try synthetic

• Juiceman

Posted June 20, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Try Honda HP4 oil. It is good stuff.

• RB2

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:32 AM

My bike shifts alot better since I started using Bel-Ray Thumper. Good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.