'05 vs '04 WR450 rear sprocket

5 replies to this topic
  • MorrisWR

Posted June 19, 2005 - 11:09 AM

I've been looking at 52 tooth sprockets for my 2005 WR450 and most online OEM parts places have the '04 (which is around $20) but I've found one or two that list the '05 but that is over $50.

Yamaha Motor site is not working right now so I couldn't check to see the '04 and '05 are interchangeable.

Does anyone know if the '04 is the same as the '05 as far as bolt-on? Over $50 as opposed to $20 is a big difference.

Thanks.

• draver

Posted June 20, 2005 - 04:44 AM

I'm building a seperate paddle wheel assembly for my 2005 WR450F because it's such a hassle and cost ($27) to change tires on my stock wheel. I wanted to have a little more bottom end grunt, and better gearing for slow sand riding, so I just bought a 52 tooth on Ebay for $26. The description said fits 99-05 YZ-WR and it was a Renthal sprocket. I have looked at several other ads on the web and it seems that those models and years are the same and interchangable, but I can't swear to it. Maybe you could put in a call to one of the aftermarket parts manufacturers like Renthal and ask them?

Dale

• ncmountainman

Posted June 20, 2005 - 05:56 AM

they're the same :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MorrisWR

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thanks guys, I thought they would be the same. Odd that the '05 is listed at twice the older ones.

Draver, how much do the new wheel cost you to build up? I thought about that before but figured the cost would be too much.

• draver

Posted June 21, 2005 - 03:36 AM

MorrisWR

By the time I get done, around $500 total. I got a rim, spokes, and hub with bearings & spacer assembled for $325, rotor for $55, then add to that rimlocks, tube, tire and mounting. I used to have a YZ 490 and had a paddle assembly for it and got spoiled. If you buy all new stuff, probably closer to $800 or so, but I just saw a complete rear wheel from a '99 sell on Ebay for just $182 or so. I'm a bargain hunter, and not in a hurry, which saves money.

One of the best parts to a spare wheel is you can have a different tooth sprocket on each, so the gearing is specific for the type of riding. I'm stock with the knobby, and 52 on the paddle.

Dale

• MorrisWR

Posted June 21, 2005 - 10:34 AM

MorrisWR

By the time I get done, around $500 total. I got a rim, spokes, and hub with bearings & spacer assembled for $325, rotor for $55, then add to that rimlocks, tube, tire and mounting. I used to have a YZ 490 and had a paddle assembly for it and got spoiled. If you buy all new stuff, probably closer to $800 or so, but I just saw a complete rear wheel from a '99 sell on Ebay for just $182 or so. I'm a bargain hunter, and not in a hurry, which saves money.

One of the best parts to a spare wheel is you can have a different tooth sprocket on each, so the gearing is specific for the type of riding. I'm stock with the knobby, and 52 on the paddle.

Dale

Thanks for the information. That's a good deal on Ebay. I might just look at searching for a used one also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.