Am I a wimp???

17 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted June 18, 2005 - 06:29 PM

About two weeks ago, I replaced my front tire (Dunlop 739g), with a Dunlop 756. I had never changed a bike tire before, and after reading recommendations on here, I did it myself with no real problems in about 30 minutes.

Today I went to change out the rear (Dunlop 739g) and replace it with a Maxxis IT. First thing was the miserable old tire simply would not fully break off the bead, even with me standing on the bead. I finally got a jig saw and cut through the tire, after wrestling for about 20 minutes.

I thought I was out of the woods, and was looking forward to mounting the new Maxxis. No matter how I tried, using windex on the tire rim, and baby powder on the tube, I couldn't get more than about 50% of the tire on the rim. I played with that thing for about 30 minutes, but to no avail. I hate to admit it being a Blue rider, but I paid the local Honda shop $ 26 to mount it. The mechanic told me that some of the Maxxis' are a bear to mount even with the equipment he had.

Am I a wimp??? or is there some magic to mounting these rear tires??

I was using three Motion Pro tire Irons too.....

:)

• nks

Posted June 18, 2005 - 07:43 PM

sorry but your a wimp
j/k
i've been changing tyres since i was knee high. so i guess there might be a technique. either that or the tyre size is smaller than your rim, which would make it interesting. it should be easier to get a tyre off than on, i'm surprised you needed a jigsaw to get it off, first time i've heard of that one...

are you using a rubber mallet? to knock the tyre on? that's always easy

• B86_Racer

Posted June 18, 2005 - 08:46 PM

You are not a wimp dude. I work up at a shop and the Maxxis tires have actually bend parts on our machine trying to get them on. They are extremely stiff and really need to be baked to like 100+ degrees before trying to put them on. :)

That being said, I like the tire as far as the riding aspect goes. If they weren't such a bear to put on, I'd still run them! :)

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 18, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Sad to say, yes, you are a wimp. . .

• Unibomber

Posted June 18, 2005 - 09:25 PM

Naw, your ok dude, its just the right technique, I changed my first one on my own a few weeks ago and all went well it was a Maixis IT also. I watched and helped a buddy with several tires and got the hang of, you just need to have a bud help ya out. :)

• exIT

Posted June 19, 2005 - 12:22 AM

There is no magic needed to get Maxxis' or any other tire on but as B86 mentioned they need to be warm. Leave the tire out in the sun for an hour or so before trying to mount it. This tip (learned from TT) helps with all tires.

I use a product called Tire Snot that helps make the tire slip on/off easier. The good part about this stuff is that it doesn't corrode the wheel and when it dries up it doesn't leave behind any residue.

Rear tires are always harder to mount than fronts but certainly not impossible. If you have to force it (either on or off) obviously there is something wrong. Figure out where the problem is and it will slip on without too much trouble.

• Sylvain

Posted June 19, 2005 - 12:56 AM

You're not a whimp. But you need some practice. :)

I recently installed a Maxxis HT with a extra HD tube for the rear. I took out a rear Michelin M-12 . I had the Maxxis warmed up in the sun for a few hours. Some soapy water and applied most of the tips already mentionned and I have to say a bit of cursing and sweathing.

Nevertheless it was PITA to mount. :)

• palmdaleRider

Posted June 19, 2005 - 04:54 AM

About two weeks ago, I replaced my front tire (Dunlop 739g), with a Dunlop 756. I had never changed a bike tire before, and after reading recommendations on here, I did it myself with no real problems in about 30 minutes.

Today I went to change out the rear (Dunlop 739g) and replace it with a Maxxis IT. First thing was the miserable old tire simply would not fully break off the bead, even with me standing on the bead. I finally got a jig saw and cut through the tire, after wrestling for about 20 minutes.

I thought I was out of the woods, and was looking forward to mounting the new Maxxis. No matter how I tried, using windex on the tire rim, and baby powder on the tube, I couldn't get more than about 50% of the tire on the rim. I played with that thing for about 30 minutes, but to no avail. I hate to admit it being a Blue rider, but I paid the local Honda shop $ 26 to mount it. The mechanic told me that some of the Maxxis' are a bear to mount even with the equipment he had.

Am I a wimp??? or is there some magic to mounting these rear tires??

I was using three Motion Pro tire Irons too.....

:)

This is good to hear. I mounted a front and rear Maxxis months ago and it was near impossible. I did finally get them on, but had to call up strengths I didn't know I had. I vow never ever ever never ever again.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 19, 2005 - 05:16 AM

The tricks are 1) warm tire (under the hood of a hot car for a few minutes), 2) use lube (I use windex), 3) when pulling the bead over the rim, make sure that on the opposite side to where you're working the tire bead is in the CENTER of the rim! Notice there is a groove in there (where the spokes attach). The bead does not give or stretch; it's got metal or nylon straps that don't give. If you put the bead on the opposite side down into the groove then that allows the tire to shift your direction and gives you more play on the side that you're working on. Use 3 (or more) tire irons and work small parts at a time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted June 19, 2005 - 07:49 AM

The Maxxis is a hard tire to mount. You just have to put some ass on it to get the last part on.

• RedRider98

Posted June 19, 2005 - 07:54 AM

maxxis has really hard side walls. When I replaced my back tire with a maxxis I could only get one bead on, took it to the dealer to do the other side, and even they had trouble with the machine doing it.

• RaptorRacer888

Posted June 19, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Got directions on how to change a dirtbike tire on here, me and my bro knocked it out in about an hour. Not to bad for first time dirtibike tire change.

Left the Millville out in the sun while we got the stock Dunlop off, and you could tell the difference between the dunlop and Millville. The Millville was easy to get on, it was soft and more pliable than the cold Dunlop.

Hardest part was getting the Millville around the rimlock and onto the rim, and then getting the rimlock to hold it down.

Lots of warm 50/50 water and soup, and lots of shower and shower on the tube and it worked out great.

O yea, we only had 2 tire irons, and we used a rag as a rim protector.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 19, 2005 - 02:59 PM

when you get down to the last bites of the 2nd side make sure that the 1st side is NOT seated in its proper groove. push down past the rim and over the rimlocks so that the rim is on the sidewall of the tire. then proceed to finish the last bites. and don't forget the windex :)

• flintlock28

Posted June 19, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will definately do the heat up method using the Sun, and remember to allow the opposite side to go to the center of the tire rim.

Like I posted, the mechanic told me that they even have problems sometimes with the Maxxis using the professional tools they have.

• machoman_#618

Posted June 19, 2005 - 05:23 PM

FLINT I have did my last dozen or so..................Iad the local shop do my last 2 tires. It was real easy! It beat sweating my booty off and I HAVE NO SCRATCHES, yea ha!

• BrianSM

Posted June 19, 2005 - 06:48 PM

Get a bead breaker they are 40-60 bucks.....or use a 2x4 (6') with a 1 foot piece at 90 degree angle, at the one end wedge it under a work bench the other puch down with the short 2x4 half way up....easy......use windex around the bead when re installing....its slippery and dries w/o residue......

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Also, if you were using the small Motion Pro tire irons think about picking up a big iron, like a 15". This will give you great leverage for mounting the last third of the tire. And as always, USE LUBRICATION :)

• Thumpy79

Posted June 20, 2005 - 11:48 AM

As mentioned, the Maxxis sidewalls are very stiff. I destroyed two tire irons on the last one I did :) Finally got it on, but it was a bear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.