Has anyone tried to upgrade the stock H4 bulb on their WR 450 ?

9 replies to this topic
  • DrtRdrJ

Posted June 18, 2005 - 10:31 AM

I was just wondering as I evaluate various "HID" look bulbs to replace my stock 55/60w H4... does anyone know if the stock stator will handle a 100 watter? thanks...

-jeremy

• vmxr

Posted June 18, 2005 - 05:31 PM

I'm running a PIAA Super White. It puts out the equivalent candlepower of a 110W/100W bulb while only using 60W/55W.

However, after finding a link for you I noticed there's better technology out. Check out the Super Plasma GTX or even the Xtreme White Plus with the anti-vibration stuff.

http://www.piaa.com/.../motobulbs.html

• WheelsUp

Posted June 18, 2005 - 05:57 PM

I'm running a PIAA Super White. It puts out the equivalent candlepower of a 110W/100W bulb while only using 60W/55W.

They do this by overdriving the bulb... it's actually a 9 or 10v bulb being driven by 12v. It increases the color temperature so it looks more blue and less yellow. It also dramatically shortens the lifespan of the bulb.
A bunch of guys on Tundrasolutions were looking for a cheap way to get the HID look without spending $500 and all who bought the PIAAs were very unhappy with the price and rapid burn-out rate.

Sylvania Silverstars are nice looking bulbs and are very white for about $20.

• vmxr

Posted June 18, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hmmm...interesting. My PIAA is on its 3rd summer of night rides (1-2 per week) with no complaints or burnouts!

I've tried the Silverstars in the past also with good results, just not as bright.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 19, 2005 - 07:09 AM

I had a 90w on my 426.. Never had a problem... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrtRdrJ

Posted June 19, 2005 - 10:15 PM

sweet! thanks guys.. those PIAAs look good... i'll get those or a higher wattage silverstar...

-jeremy

• GrizzlyFlatter

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:36 PM

Try trading your bike for an old but legendary 84 XR500r,they have the juice to drive 100 watts easily! :) :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 03, 2005 - 07:05 AM

Try trading your bike for an old but legendary 84 XR500r,they have the juice to drive 100 watts easily! :) :D

Welcome to Thumpertalk Grizzly!! I'll gladly trade you my new bike for that 84 XR500r... Those are collectors items.... :)

• GrizzlyFlatter

Posted July 04, 2005 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk Grizzly!! I'll gladly trade you my new bike for that 84 XR500r... Those are collectors items.... :)

OK so when do we make the transaction?I brieflly rode Jeremys WR and loved it,I have known him for years and have always referred to my XR as legendary.His wife told me he joined TT so I thought I would get on here and rattle his cage a little!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 04, 2005 - 07:48 AM

OK so when do we make the transaction?I brieflly rode Jeremys WR and loved it,I have known him for years and have always referred to my XR as legendary.His wife told me he joined TT so I thought I would get on here and rattle his cage a little!

:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.